Backcountry Pilot • C206 Extended baggage Why no option exists.

C206 Extended baggage Why no option exists.

Technical and practical discussion about specific aircraft types such as Cessna 180, Maule M7, et al. Please read and search carefully before posting, as many popular topics have already been discussed.
16 posts • Page 1 of 1

C206 Extended baggage Why no option exists.

Looking in the back of my 206. Im wondering why no company ever made an extended baggage option? the book lists a 36 lb O2 bottle back there. i'm sure the air conditioner weight is similar. Why not fabricate a tray above the avionics stack. and gain a bit of extra storage for a cover, first aid and some tools.

Anyone have any thoughts? Id really like to fabricate something like this, however it would have to be removable to maintenance.

https://selkirk-aviation.com/extended-baggage-kits/.
Screenshot 2024-07-15 at 9.03.50 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-07-15 at 9.03.50 PM.png (1.56 MiB) Viewed 1566 times
Cameron96 offline
User avatar
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:59 am
Location: sudbury
Aircraft: C206 Turbine

Re: C206 Extended baggage Why no option exists.

I recently removed everything from that radio shelf, I have the oxygen bottle in the way though. I had the same question, I have to imagine it has to do with the radio shelf and the fact that a 206 can be easily loaded to the aft CG without much trouble as is. But that's purely a guess on my part.
CParker offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 515
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 8:21 am
Location: SMN
Aircraft: 1979 TU206G

Re: C206 Extended baggage Why no option exists.

Finally got round to this project, added about 1lb after all deleted. Involved 3 6061 angles, ensolite insulation, carbon composite board. and lots of time!
Screen Shot 2026-09-29 at 9.32.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2026-09-29 at 9.32.56 PM.png (3.02 MiB) Viewed 561 times
Cameron96 offline
User avatar
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:59 am
Location: sudbury
Aircraft: C206 Turbine

Re: C206 Extended baggage Why no option exists.

another view
Screen Shot 2026-09-29 at 9.32.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2026-09-29 at 9.32.38 PM.png (2.6 MiB) Viewed 561 times
Cameron96 offline
User avatar
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:59 am
Location: sudbury
Aircraft: C206 Turbine

Re: C206 Extended baggage Why no option exists.

top secret design schematics
Screen Shot 2026-09-29 at 9.32.00 PM.png
Cameron96 offline
User avatar
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:59 am
Location: sudbury
Aircraft: C206 Turbine

Re: C206 Extended baggage Why no option exists.

This looks awesome. You did a great job!

I have looked into a similar mod for my 205. According to this thread:

https://backcountrypilot.org/forum/cess ... date-16571

there appears to be a guy out of ID that does a similar type mod. I don't have an avionics shelf back there that is being used so I would likely gain more vertical room. The thread above refers to a Selkirk STC for a serial number range of 206.
Josef online
User avatar
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:01 pm
Location: Sherwood
Aircraft: 205A

Re: C206 Extended baggage Why no option exists.

I've carried a LOT of stuff in 206s. I've honestly never found a need for more aft space. Loaded anywhere near the aft limit, the 206 will sit on its tail without a passenger or pilot in the front seats.
mtv offline
Knowledge Base Author
User avatar
Posts: 10588
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:47 am
Location: Bozeman

Re: C206 Extended baggage Why no option exists.

I can fit a flyrod in the 206 without breaking it down but the tip sits on the glareshield kinda touching the window wrapped in a tshirt . Extended baggage would be nice to make the long stuff fit better.
low rider offline
User avatar
Posts: 792
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:43 pm
Location: Tahoe
vail

Re: C206 Extended baggage Why no option exists.

Cameron96 wrote:Image


Are you a flying data center? That's a server room.
Zzz offline
Janitorial Staff
Posts: 2991
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Nowhere
Aircraft: None

Re: C206 Extended baggage Why no option exists.

HAHAHA, 1 is backup Lithium Battery, the middle is a Transponder Traffic in, was installed many years ago. up in Canada most small planes still dont have ADSB so this helps, maybe in 5-10 years we can remove. Then ELT and Light box..
Cameron96 offline
User avatar
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:59 am
Location: sudbury
Aircraft: C206 Turbine

Re: C206 Extended baggage Why no option exists.

mtv wrote:I've carried a LOT of stuff in 206s. I've honestly never found a need for more aft space. Loaded anywhere near the aft limit, the 206 will sit on its tail without a passenger or pilot in the front seats.


when all 6 seats are in there, I got no room.. I bring a First Aid, survival kit, warm clothes, a number of life jackets, and a tool kit.

the dream is 6 people, and 6 overnight bags without having to put on your lap. W&B allows me, just not space.

a belly pod wont work with the turbine exhaust and going back and forth from floats every year..
Last edited by Cameron96 on Mon Oct 05, 2026 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cameron96 offline
User avatar
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:59 am
Location: sudbury
Aircraft: C206 Turbine

Re: C206 Extended baggage Why no option exists.

I got a fieid aproval back in day for an aft baggage on a 206.
It was an extended box with a door hinged across the bottom. The faceplate picked up the edge of the aft compartment frame with a series of nutplates and a latetal bar aft with a plate on each end that picked up about 8” each side of the the secind bulkhead aft. Its a little hazzy but I think it was placarded at 50#

A key feature was being easy to remove for each 100h/annual inspection via 10/32 screws/ nutplates around the peramater of the faceplate and a few picking up the aft lateral support.

I climbed about halfway down the tailcone at each inspection with my light and LPS2 at each insoection, no accesse to that handy panel there on the bottom with the long float ventral, and to be honest even on wheels I prefered to climb back there for good look cause.

Rocket
rocket offline
User avatar
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 3:08 pm
Location: Talkeetna
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... 9GZmP4hOO2

Re: C206 Extended baggage Why no option exists.

rocket wrote:I got a fieid aproval back in day for an aft baggage on a 206.
It was an extended box with a door hinged across the bottom. The faceplate picked up the edge of the aft compartment frame with a series of nutplates and a latetal bar aft with a plate on each end that picked up about 8” each side of the the secind bulkhead aft. Its a little hazzy but I think it was placarded at 50#

A key feature was being easy to remove for each 100h/annual inspection via 10/32 screws/ nutplates around the peramater of the faceplate and a few picking up the aft lateral support.

I climbed about halfway down the tailcone at each inspection with my light and LPS2 at each insoection, no accesse to that handy panel there on the bottom with the long float ventral, and to be honest even on wheels I prefered to climb back there for good look cause.

Rocket


Yes making it easily removable was the goal as well for the annual, Anchor nuts.
Cameron96 offline
User avatar
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:59 am
Location: sudbury
Aircraft: C206 Turbine

Re: C206 Extended baggage Why no option exists.

I put the selkirk on in my 206 and it works great. Kinda wish it went back a bit further. I also dotn have any of the stuff in tha back of mine that you do, so that made it easier to accommodate.
A1Skinner offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 5219
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:38 am
Location: Eaglesham
FindMeSpot URL: [url:1vzmrq4a]http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0az97SSJm2Ky58iEMJLqgaAQvVxMnGp6G[/url:1vzmrq4a]
Aircraft: Cessna 210J, Citabria 7GCBC, AT402/502/602

Re: C206 Extended baggage Why no option exists.

low rider wrote:I can fit a flyrod in the 206 without breaking it down but the tip sits on the glareshield kinda touching the window wrapped in a tshirt . Extended baggage would be nice to make the long stuff fit better.


If it's just the fly rod(s).....
I've heard of people installing a "ski tube", it's just a tube that extends through the panel aft of the regular baggage area.
Either metal (light gauge furnace duct) or plastic (PVC pipe), with an end cap at the aft end.
hotrod180 offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 10606
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:47 pm
Location: Port Townsend, WA
Cessna Skywagon -- accept no substitute!

Re: C206 Extended baggage Why no option exists.

I shoulda known....a fly fisherman...... :lol:
mtv offline
Knowledge Base Author
User avatar
Posts: 10588
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:47 am
Location: Bozeman

DISPLAY OPTIONS

16 posts • Page 1 of 1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Latest Features

Latest Knowledge Base