Backcountry Pilot • SOLD: 1946 BC-12D

SOLD: 1946 BC-12D

Historical archive of past FS posts that have been satisfied or marked "SOLD," intended to provide reference for pricing and parts availability.
30 posts • Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2

SOLD: 1946 BC-12D

Selling an exceptional example of a BC-12D.

687 TTSN
398 SMOH
398 on 14 year old fabric (always hangared while we owned it, probably while the PO owned it as well)

$20K Firm, $24K for anyone who offers less.

We bought this Taylorcraft for our son to fly after earning his PPL to hone his TW skills. Mission complete, and life and career moves for him have taken him in a direction that renders this airplane excess to our needs. I really hate to see it go, but I hate more to see it sit idle.

I do not follow Taylorcraft specific social media or clubs, but this may be the lowest time Taylorcraft out there? It is most certainly as clean as you can get without being a 'show queen' and it may even be cleaner than some of those. The cowls (all soft H series al) are pristine and free of cracks, dings or dents, as is the fabric, and all tubing.

It is NOT a bush beater, it will get in and out of surprisingly tight places, but if you want a true boon docking Tcart, you'd probably be money ahead looking for one already heavily modded. This girl deserves a caretaker that recognizes the fact that they're just not making aircraft of this vintage this clean anymore.

The engine is the original to the airframe, although it was rebuilt once due to the extreme time it was in storage. It has dual wing tanks as well as the nose tank. People tell me the wood pro does not perform as well as the metal one? I say the wood looks like it belongs...

I guess the biggest reason I am selling it is because if I were to keep it, it would end up with 29" airstreaks, Grove brakes, C-85-8, skylight, back windows... and on & on... :( and then there would be one less pristine example of what was....
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Thanks for your interest
Rob offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 1591
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:34 am

Re: FS: 1946 BC-12D

Beautiful plane! That is an incredible example of type.

I'm 20 years younger and much less pristine.

Good luck with the sale.
albravo offline
Posts: 713
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:11 pm
Location: Squamish

Re: FS: 1946 BC-12D

If you are interested in learning tailwheel, this is your perfect airplane. Barely opened and almost still in the box. Even though I have no medical and couldn't use it myself, I would have bought it for my local instructor to train my grandsons. It is original desert bones with plenty engine time and fabric time left. 2H2 is a small town that doesn't support it's airport well. We would have to have gone thirty miles for a hanger.

65 hp will teach you energy management to fly that big wing. No right brakes will teach the instructor to land and teach landing slow as Mr Taylor intended. The wooden prop was so you could put another on and go again, should something happen. The mains let you see a little over the dash and the little tailwheel helps keep the tail behind you in the grass.
contactflying offline
Posts: 4972
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:36 pm
Location: Aurora, Missouri 2H2
Download my free "https://tinyurl.com/Safe-Maneuvering" e-book.

Re: FS: 1946 BC-12D

The two wing tanks (6 gal ea) and the nose tank (12 gal) is nice. I believe one wing tank (right) and the nose tank was the more common configuration. Either gets you pretty far at 4 gallons/hour, but I would have liked to have two wing tanks in mine.
-DP
Last edited by denalipilot on Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
denalipilot offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 2793
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:53 pm
Location: Denali
Aircraft: C-170B+

Re: FS: 1946 BC-12D

Dang Rob, don't temp me!!! I'm even down in AZ visiting family.
I'm leaning towards a Legend Cub....but that is a sweet looking T-cart!!
WWhunter offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 2062
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:54 pm
Location: Minnesota
Aircraft: RANS S-7
Murphy Rebel
VANS RV-8

Re: FS: 1946 BC-12D

Why is this still for sale? If I wasn't so big, I'd have it. Very pretty little airplane.
Pinecone offline
User avatar
Posts: 996
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:37 pm
Location: Airdrie
Aircraft: Cessna A185F

Re: FS: 1946 BC-12D

Most likely Light Sport Aircraft eligible so no medical needed if you have a valid driver's license and your med has never been denied, suspended, or revoked.

https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/advocacy- ... port-pilot

https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/advocacy- ... t-aircraft

Gary
PA1195 offline
Posts: 400
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:19 pm
Location: Fairbanks
Aircraft: 1941 Taylorcraft STC'd BC12D-4-85 w/C-85 Stroker

Re: FS: 1946 BC-12D

My medical and commercial were "emergency suspended."
contactflying offline
Posts: 4972
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:36 pm
Location: Aurora, Missouri 2H2
Download my free "https://tinyurl.com/Safe-Maneuvering" e-book.

Re: FS: 1946 BC-12D

That is a clean, nice looking airplane! I almost got out my checkbook and I don't even want a Tcraft!

I like your pricing model too. :D

I am curious though .... I know nothing about T-crafts. What are the light grey vertical things I see in the picture through the left pilot's window?

Image
kg offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:56 am
Location: Murfreesboro
Aircraft: Cessna 180J

Re: FS: 1946 BC-12D

Looks like the frame edges of a sliding window in two halves.
Chris In Marshfield offline
User avatar
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:54 am
Location: Northern
Aircraft: Vans RV-6
Quicksilver Sprint II
Warner Spacewalker II

Re: FS: 1946 BC-12D

The sliding plexi window brackets that fit the tracks? Rear portion is fixed, front slides.

When I modified my RANS S-7S left side door with a flip up window (after first trying a slider, not as easy as you may think, at least in my existing lexan) I realized to achieve the coolness factor of being able to rest my left arm on the sill, I'd have to pad out somehow the sharp lexan edge the flip up window was installed into. Hanging on my shop wall I have a good sized remnant of one of my old T-Craft spars. Un-airworthy, flown home on a ferry permit (very gently) and then I built up a new pair of wings for it, put a new interior in it, and sold it for about $3500.00 profit (considering my labor was free, in exchange for the 117 hrs I flew it, a great deal). Anyway,since then, I have used small scraps of the old spar for various things, and now I have a window sill with a small strip of the spruce T-Craft spar on the bottom to rest my arm on. It seems like good flying mojo. I also have various other small wood scraps in the 7 being used not just for sentimental reasons but because that old straight grain clear spruce is still hard to beat.The funny thing is my Rans has more time on it now then the T-Craft did when I bought it.

This bird is a rock solid investment for someone, buy it, fly it for a few years, and you'll get every dime of your money back plus some, try that with any experimental! One of my best flights ever was several years after I had sold it (having built my first S-7, better suited for my short mountain strip) I got a call from the Pocatello FBO asking me if I'd want to ferry it up to Bozeman to another new owner. When I showed up it was freshly washed and full of fuel, and the weather was absolutely perfect, what an honor! 20K is a great deal for this bird.
courierguy offline
User avatar
Posts: 4197
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:52 pm
Location: Idaho
"Its easier to apologize then ask permission"
Tex McClatchy

Re: FS: 1946 BC-12D

Thx guys,

The story that was related to me was that this bird was purchased for a young man returning from the war to fly. He was killed on the way home and the bird subsequently had it's wings pulled and was mothballed in the garage.

Apparently the groundsman or landscaper had a lot of interest in the little plane, but the family would not let it go (we've all seen this before). Eventually the widow passed and the landscaper bought it from the estate and had it refurbished. After learning to fly in it and earning his PPL he eventually moved down to a Bonanza.

Any truth to the romantic story? who knows? When I saw it advertised a few years back I figured the times were a typo, or lie and ignored it. After a few months of looking at a ton of JUNK (albeit cheaper junk) I decided to go have a look. Still don't know if I buy the story, but I did end up buying the airplane :wink:

A funny side story;

At the time we were plane shopping our son was incredibly sky struck. He would watch all big rocks long props, all the educational aviation stuff and once a week or so the nostalgic 16R.

This airplane was located at KVNY (home of 16R), which is an hour and change flying time from me, so much to Josh's dismay I went out to look at it (he really wanted a cub, and all the local Tcarts were flying nightmares)

I knew I was coming back for it the moment I saw it, and so the next weekend Mom, Josh and I drove out. After seeing it Josh was still not sold on Tcarts, but I could tell he was softening up some, so we kicked the tires some, handed the guy a bag of cash and sent mom on her way. The Tcart was on the east side of the field and although Josh mumbled something about trying to get 16R, I pretended I did't hear him. No way was I going to try and make special requests in the big city, at an airport I was totally unfamiliar with, while trying to communicate on a handheld.

After firing the old girl up and taxing out to the ramp we called up ground and tried to communicate our intentions. Things got off to a rather confusing start because unbeknownst to us at the time, We had the mic portions of our headsets switched around in the little portable intercom box I had brought along. So there we sat, them barely hearing us, us barely hearing them when all of a sudden a giant whine appeared to consume the little airplane. I knew that sound, and knew something had to happen quickly, and all at once everyone started speaking;

Josh: What's that terrible noise
G5 Captain: Ground, 515PL, any idea what this little red thing in front of me intends to do?
Rob: That is a giant, getting ready to step on us :oops:

Lighting the fire under the old girl I taxi'd up a tad and spun around to realize just how tiny a Tcart really looks under the nose of a G550 #-o So around the big airplane we started, to try and get the radio thing sorted out when the controller came back on;

Controller; Taylorcraft 19461, If you read, taxi across runway 16L to runway 16R (Josh's face lit up like a Christmas tree!). Upon reaching 16R we were cleared for an immediate departure (actually asked to expedite the departure, right turn out, and clearing of the airspace) I think he even mumbled something along the lines of hoping we never return to congest his air).

Now here we started to lose Josh again, because he had really been spoiled up to this point having the luxury of a fairly decent bush beater supercub to fly in. Pouring the coal to the mighty A-65 resulted in a fair bark, (not much movement, but a fair bark.....) and pretty soon we began to roll.... and roll...and roll

Josh: Think it'll fly?
Rob: Sure it will, I think?

And sure enough, as soon as the wind in the little sliding window equated to a light breeze, the little girl levitated. Not knowing the airplane real well we flew down the valley (Josh was astonished the we were flying a 1946 vintage airplane right over what amounted to East LA) and landed at French Valley for fuel and a second look. Here we learned a few new things;

Most importantly, never stop at the base of the mountains you will need to fly over if you already have gas and altitude #-o .
On the other hand we learned what the mighty A-65 couldn't do to get us over the mountains, the wing could certainly make up for :wink:
And lastly, propping the warmed up A-65 would take a finesse and patience rivaling that of finding thermals to get the magic carpet ride up to the 7500' place we needed to be.

All in all, by the time we got the old girl home Josh was mostly sold on the Tcart, so into his room he went to watch 16R and reminisce on our journey. A short while later a huge whoop came from his room followed by laughter and more commotion. Peaking in I could see he had paused the movie. And there on the screen was N19461 tucked away behind the gentleman relating the story. In her own cameo appearance :lol:

And so she won a place in his heart. As an honorary cub, 461 taught Josh a ton. Flies like a magic carpet ride, spins honest. ground handles as good as anything that light can be expected to.

I hope the next caretaker learns as much from this old girl as I did.

Take care, Rob
Rob offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 1591
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:34 am

Re: FS: 1946 BC-12D

Cool story Rob! So what is Josh doing now? Still flying?

Kurt
G44 offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 2104
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:46 am
Location: Michigan

Re: FS: 1946 BC-12D

=D> =D> =D> Great story.

Gump
GumpAir offline
User avatar
Posts: 4557
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:14 am
Location: Lost somewhere in Nevada
Aircraft: Old Clunker

Re: FS: 1946 BC-12D

Chris In Marshfield wrote:Looks like the frame edges of a sliding window in two halves.


Now that you pointed it out it is obvious. :D

Thanks
kg offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:56 am
Location: Murfreesboro
Aircraft: Cessna 180J

Re: FS: 1946 BC-12D

Cool story, Rob!!
hotrod180 offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 10605
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:47 pm
Location: Port Townsend, WA
Cessna Skywagon -- accept no substitute!

Re: FS: 1946 BC-12D

contactflying wrote:My medical and commercial were "emergency suspended."


I'd like to hear the story behind that (in it's own thread).
hotrod180 offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 10605
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:47 pm
Location: Port Townsend, WA
Cessna Skywagon -- accept no substitute!

Re: FS: 1946 BC-12D

contactflying wrote:My medical and commercial were "emergency suspended."


By a psychiatrist? :P :wink:
Zzz offline
Janitorial Staff
Posts: 2992
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Nowhere
Aircraft: None

Re: FS: 1946 BC-12D

Only a cold hearted bastard would sell that plane with such a cool story.

A zillion years ago I was 17 and accompanying my uncle to various airports sourcing details for his T-6 restoration. One morning he was looking for his mechanic and instead we found the assistant mechanic who had just completed a meticulous restoration of a Taylorcraft.

I'd not yet heard of one, and while I couldn't imagine myself wanting one I was struck by the quality of the restoration down to tiny details. I won't lie, a seed was planted. I've recently stumbled across the pictures I took way back then and it still makes me smile.

Before I pulled the trigger on my Citabria I had the Tcart on my short list, if I could only find one to sit in first.
aftCG offline
User avatar
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:55 pm
Location: Tacoma
Aircraft: Kitfox series 5

Re: FS: 1946 BC-12D

That's one lucky son! Great stories too! Beautiful plane, definitely would be a crime to mod that one and beat it up.
Rogue offline
User avatar
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 4:13 pm
Location: Canada
Aircraft: Scout 8GCBC

DISPLAY OPTIONS

Next
30 posts • Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Latest Features

Latest Knowledge Base