Backcountry Pilot • Sweet beater wagon goes Hollywood - The Dog Stars movie

Sweet beater wagon goes Hollywood - The Dog Stars movie

Links to general aviation backcountry flying-oriented videos. It can be yours or stuff you find on the internet. Please no airline/military.
39 posts • Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2

Sweet beater wagon goes Hollywood - The Dog Stars movie

Coming soon. From the book The Dog Stars by Peter Heller. Might have to give it another read to brush up.

Zzz offline
Janitorial Staff
Posts: 2992
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Nowhere
Aircraft: None

Re: Sweet beater wagon goes Hollywood - The Dog Stars movie

I stoped doing dystopian fiction years ago, but I might have to make an exception for this. I was thinking this might not be bad until the guy on the top of the cabin with the tomahawk: cheesy.

My favorite movie pilot/aircraft combo is the beaver and that guy Never cry wolf. Loved the adaptive external fuel plumbing ;)

The corniest had to be the 180 (?) in… Waterworld? But there must be others?

One has to wonder what’s so attractive to the human psych, or perhaps just the male, about the dystopian trope, and possibly more so with us independent self-sufficient piloty types? I fucking loved the original Mad Max!

Rocket
rocket offline
User avatar
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 3:08 pm
Location: Talkeetna
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... 9GZmP4hOO2

Re: Sweet beater wagon goes Hollywood - The Dog Stars movie

Mad Max was great, but I’ve always joked that in a true dystopian post-apocalyptic land where fuel is scarce, the hero would be driving a Toyota Yaris instead of a supercharged Ford Falcon.
Zzz offline
Janitorial Staff
Posts: 2992
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Nowhere
Aircraft: None

Re: Sweet beater wagon goes Hollywood - The Dog Stars movie

Definitely my favorite Heller novel. I’m looking forward to the movie, fully expecting to suspend disbelief in order to get my money’s worth.

My most recent disappointment was the first episode of The Madison. (Yeah, I know. But the promise of scenery and fishing sucked me in.) I was so excited when the brothers saddled up that sweet 185 and flew into the backcountry for a day on the river. But then the show’s writers really did us dirty with a combo of ridiculous circumstances and comically terrible decision making. After the airplane crash, the show implodes into a Hallmark stew of toxic femininity. Oh well. It was a good minute. Kind of like the beginning of The Edge. :D

CAVU
CAVU offline
User avatar
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 4:54 pm

Re: Sweet beater wagon goes Hollywood - The Dog Stars movie

Sure but can you use those Yaris door handles in your Cessna?



Side note what registration starts with a 2-? Hollywood?
Josef offline
User avatar
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:01 pm
Location: Sherwood
Aircraft: 205A

Re: Sweet beater wagon goes Hollywood - The Dog Stars movie

CAVU wrote: Oh well. It was a good minute. Kind of like the beginning of The Edge. :D


I do not want you hear you disparage The Edge ever again! Never before nor since has a masterpiece of its caliber graced the screen. It is one of Bart the Bear's finest performances. And almost daily I chant the mantra "What one man can do, another can do!"

Wasn't aware of The Madison, but most film and TV these days are ruined by fabricated drama meant to appeal to...people who like drama.

Josef wrote:Side note what registration starts with a 2-? Hollywood?


San Fernando valley, i think :lol: Maybe Encino.
Zzz offline
Janitorial Staff
Posts: 2992
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Nowhere
Aircraft: None

Re: Sweet beater wagon goes Hollywood - The Dog Stars movie

A Belgian Malinois and a 'Wagon...say no more, I'm in!

Honorable mention...Capricorn One, fast forward until the last 10 minutes, Good Stearman flight scenes and a line often barked from the rear pit..."Get your God damn head down"!

Helio of Water World attached with proof why float flying is soooo much better than skis! =D>

TR

Image
TR offline
User avatar
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:08 am
Location: Hudson Valley
Aircraft: PA-18A
C-180H
DHC-2
G-164 Ag Cat

Re: Sweet beater wagon goes Hollywood - The Dog Stars movie

TR wrote:A Belgian Malinois and a 'Wagon...say no more, I'm in!

Honorable mention...Capricorn One, fast forward until the last 10 minutes, Good Stearman flight scenes and a line often barked from the rear pit..."Get your God damn head down"!

Helio of Water World attached with proof why float flying is soooo much better than skis! =D>

TR

Image


Ah yes, of course it was a Helio! Not a 180 as I recalled…

Rocket
rocket offline
User avatar
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 3:08 pm
Location: Talkeetna
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... 9GZmP4hOO2

Re: Sweet beater wagon goes Hollywood - The Dog Stars movie

LOL...perfect Waterworld post-apocalypse look: "rusted aluminum"
Zzz offline
Janitorial Staff
Posts: 2992
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Nowhere
Aircraft: None

Re: Sweet beater wagon goes Hollywood - The Dog Stars movie

Zzz wrote:I do not want you hear you disparage The Edge ever again! Never before nor since has a masterpiece of its caliber graced the screen. It is one of Bart the Bear's finest performances. And almost daily I chant the mantra "What one man can do, another can do!"


"What's the matter Bob? Can't do it sober?" :)

My sincere apologies to you and to Bart. I love The Edge. It's like Hatchet for adults. It's downloaded it on my iPad, so, whenever I'm on a commercial flight, I usually wind up watching it again. I wish they'd found a set up that didn't crash the Beaver, though. It's a sad fact that battered beavers seem to be a common theme in cinema . . .
CAVU offline
User avatar
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 4:54 pm

Re: Sweet beater wagon goes Hollywood - The Dog Stars movie

Always a bittersweet moment when one of your favorite authors goes to the silver screen. That said... I'll definitely go see it.

CAVU wrote:Definitely my favorite Heller novel.
CAVU


I enjoyed it, but my favorite Heller is "The Painter".
SmokeyTheBear offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:55 am
Location: Charlestown
Aircraft: GlaStar

Re: Sweet beater wagon goes Hollywood - The Dog Stars movie

Had to look it up. The number 2 prefix is Guernsey.

Google says Guernsey is one of the Channel Islands in the English Channel near the French coast, and is a self-governing British Crown dependency.

I'll probably watch the movie just to see how much they screw up the flying scenes.

--Brian
Brian-StevesAircraft offline
KB and Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 761
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:13 pm
Location: Beagle (White City) Oregon
Pavement scares me..........

Dad's SPOT page

Re: Sweet beater wagon goes Hollywood - The Dog Stars movie

Funny thing is that it was a 1956 182 in the book. Must have done the tailwheel conversion for the movie.
CAVU offline
User avatar
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 4:54 pm

Re: Sweet beater wagon goes Hollywood - The Dog Stars movie

CAVU wrote:Funny thing is that it was a 1956 182 in the book. Must have done the tailwheel conversion for the movie.


That’s right!
Zzz offline
Janitorial Staff
Posts: 2992
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Nowhere
Aircraft: None

Re: Sweet beater wagon goes Hollywood - The Dog Stars movie

Well, as we all know, tailwheel airplanes are always cooler than the alternative!
StillLearning offline
Supporter
Posts: 471
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:22 pm
Location: Salmon
Aircraft: Cessna 180 Skywagon 1953

Re: Sweet beater wagon goes Hollywood - The Dog Stars movie

To anyone thats read the book, is it good? no idea about it.

The movie looks fun
Cameron96 offline
User avatar
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:59 am
Location: sudbury
Aircraft: C206 Turbine

Re: Sweet beater wagon goes Hollywood - The Dog Stars movie

It is good.

I just finished it a couple of months ago. My daughter recommended it for me. Ended up reading it in just a couple of days. Although I have to admit the ending left a little to be desired for me. On another odd note, listed to a podcast Peter Heller did. I am pretty sure our paths crossed kayaking back in the day.

Pete
pburns offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:05 pm
Location: Adirondack Mt's
Aircraft: Citabria 7ECA

Re: Sweet beater wagon goes Hollywood - The Dog Stars movie

Watch out for the upcoming Brad Pitt movie Heart of the Beast. Filmed in New Zealand last year using a C185 on floats. No idea how much the 185 features. Probably not much.
JamieG offline
User avatar
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:06 am
Location: OngaOnga
Aircraft: C180J, O520

Re: Sweet beater wagon goes Hollywood - The Dog Stars movie

Cameron96 wrote:To anyone that's read the book, is it good? no idea about it.

The movie looks fun


I read the book and liked it but the narrative approach takes some getting used to. The storyline, action sequences and location were ripe for a Hollywood run. Other good books by Heller are: "The Painter" and "Hell or High Water". Neither of the other books involve any flying, but both could be made into movies that I'd pay to see.
Flyhound offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:39 am
Location: Port Townsend
Aircraft: MX7-180C

Re: Sweet beater wagon goes Hollywood - The Dog Stars movie

Looks like this sweet beater wagon will be at OshKosh.

Image

That whip looks pretty cool to me!
Scolopax offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 1718
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Nottingham
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... 4aYqSexnZC

DISPLAY OPTIONS

Next
39 posts • Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Latest Features

Latest Knowledge Base