Backcountry Pilot • WTB: Spinner/backing plate '56 C172 w/O-300-B

WTB: Spinner/backing plate '56 C172 w/O-300-B

Gear for sale, gear wanted, etc. Be sure to read the Required Reading sticky before posting.
15 posts • Page 1 of 1

WTB: Spinner/backing plate '56 C172 w/O-300-B

My "new" old one decided to crack into two pieces, tearing the backing plate in the process.

Lemme know if you have or know of a set for sale, or sitting there from a Lyc upgrade.

Thanks,

Gump
GumpAir offline
User avatar
Posts: 4557
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:14 am
Location: Lost somewhere in Nevada
Aircraft: Old Clunker

Re: WTB: Spinner/backing plate '56 C172 w/O-300-B

Gump,

Is that a six bolt or an eight bolt flange? 7653, or 8042?

-DP
denalipilot offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 2793
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:53 pm
Location: Denali
Aircraft: C-170B+

Re: WTB: Spinner/backing plate '56 C172 w/O-300-B

I think it's the 8 bolt. "B" engine, 7653 prop. I'll be down at the hangar later today and take a look.

Gump
GumpAir offline
User avatar
Posts: 4557
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:14 am
Location: Lost somewhere in Nevada
Aircraft: Old Clunker

Re: WTB: Spinner/backing plate '56 C172 w/O-300-B

Wag Aero had the best pricing on new PMA'd options as of a few years ago.
denalipilot offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 2793
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:53 pm
Location: Denali
Aircraft: C-170B+

Re: WTB: Spinner/backing plate '56 C172 w/O-300-B

I have a backing plate, Gump. I have the spinner too but it probably isn't in any better shape than your old one. It cracked after an overzealous mechanic tightened the screws down with a power drill. When I took it off I promptly dropped it on the hanger floor putting a big dent in the nose. So I doubt if my spinner can be repaired.

The backing plate, however, is fine. Only problem is that I'm nowhere near it and it will be at least three or four weeks before I get there.

If you don't find what you need before then... or if you find a spinner without a backing plate... let me know and when I get back to my hangar I'll get it out for you.

Mine was for the 8-bolt, DM76/53 prop on a C-145.
kg offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:56 am
Location: Murfreesboro
Aircraft: Cessna 180J

Re: WTB: Spinner/backing plate '56 C172 w/O-300-B

Thanks KG, I may take you up on the offer. Still checking my usual sources.

Prop is the 8 bolt, but it's a Sensenich 7453, I coulda sworn it was a 76". No wonder it's so f**king gutless up here. According to the TCDS the McCauley goes to 76", the Sensenich max's at 74".

Gump
GumpAir offline
User avatar
Posts: 4557
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:14 am
Location: Lost somewhere in Nevada
Aircraft: Old Clunker

Re: WTB: Spinner/backing plate '56 C172 w/O-300-B

Gump, I'm in kinda the same shape to help you, I have a backing plate and a spinner, it was on a Swift, Maybe it will speed up your Cessna [-o<
Any way I won't be home for another 2-4 weeks. If you still need it I'll send it your way? Only question I have is I don't know if it has 6 or 8 bolts??
They are burried in a box in the Hangar at 63S so really don't have anyone to go dig it out!
M6RV6 offline
User avatar
Posts: 2313
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:52 pm
Location: Rice Wa. 82WN Magee Creek AERODROME
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... sWKXuhKlg2
Have as much Fun as is Safe, and Keep SMILIN! GT,

Re: WTB: Spinner/backing plate '56 C172 w/O-300-B

Thanks George!


If anyone has a McCauley 1C172/MDM 7652, 53, or 55 gathering dust, lemme know.

I'd go for the 8042 but... Ain't nobody with an STC for a C172, just the C170's. And after my battle trying to get the GarAero tailwheel approved ("We just don't know how it'd be possible to allow on a converted C712, if this was Alaska it'd be easy but we can't down here"), I'm not wasting my time with the Feds again.

Gump
GumpAir offline
User avatar
Posts: 4557
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:14 am
Location: Lost somewhere in Nevada
Aircraft: Old Clunker

Re: WTB: Spinner/backing plate '56 C172 w/O-300-B

I may have that prop for ya. Percentage of proceeds will go to BCP if I do.
denalipilot offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 2793
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:53 pm
Location: Denali
Aircraft: C-170B+

Re: WTB: Spinner/backing plate '56 C172 w/O-300-B

Yep, looks like I have that in 7653. No indication that it was ever repitched, but can't swear to that. PM me for photos if interested. I even have a prop shipping carton.
-DP
denalipilot offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 2793
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:53 pm
Location: Denali
Aircraft: C-170B+

Re: WTB: Spinner/backing plate '56 C172 w/O-300-B

I looked for a spinner in my junk today.... Unfortunately no dice on an 8 bolt.... There is an old 8 bolt prop hanging on the wall.... Will have to ask the old man who owns it...

Brian
Brian-StevesAircraft offline
KB and Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 761
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:13 pm
Location: Beagle (White City) Oregon
Pavement scares me..........

Dad's SPOT page

Re: WTB: Spinner/backing plate '56 C172 w/O-300-B

Anyone here with personal experience with O-300's and difference in pulling ability between the McCauley 76 and Sensenich 74?
GumpAir offline
User avatar
Posts: 4557
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:14 am
Location: Lost somewhere in Nevada
Aircraft: Old Clunker

Re: WTB: Spinner/backing plate '56 C172 w/O-300-B

p.s.

I've got a spinner and backplate for you too. The spinner was removed due to the start of a small crack. Don't know if it's repairable, but the backplate should be fine.

Terms are, I'll donate shipping, and when you get it, you come up with a fair offer and donate that amount to BCP.

p.p.s. I always thought a 170 looked good without a spinner anyway.

-DP
denalipilot offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 2793
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:53 pm
Location: Denali
Aircraft: C-170B+

Re: WTB: Spinner/backing plate '56 C172 w/O-300-B

I'll PM ya and go over details.

Guess the question is also, is a spinner/backing plate required?
GumpAir offline
User avatar
Posts: 4557
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:14 am
Location: Lost somewhere in Nevada
Aircraft: Old Clunker

Re: WTB: Spinner/backing plate '56 C172 w/O-300-B

GumpAir wrote:I'll PM ya and go over details.

Guess the question is also, is a spinner/backing plate required?


My impression is no, it's not required. At least not on a 170B/ O-300D. Knew of one operating for quite a while without one, and probably not bootlegged under the circumstances.

If you PM me, include your email. It'll be easier to send photos.

-DP
denalipilot offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 2793
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:53 pm
Location: Denali
Aircraft: C-170B+

DISPLAY OPTIONS

15 posts • Page 1 of 1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Latest Features

Latest Knowledge Base