Backcountry Pilot • 26 or 29?

26 or 29?

This subforum is meant to organize Skywagon-related topics.
29 posts • Page 2 of 2 • 1, 2

Re: 26 or 29?

StillLearning wrote:I have never been a fan of 10" wheels, at least not on a180/185.

I mounted up a set of 29-11-10 a few years back, they were HEAVY. So, heavy that I put them on the scale, 63# for a tire and wheel. Shaved or not that's insane. Tires made for an 802 have no place on a 185.


The 802s actually run an even bigger tire, with a 12" wheel! And I've worn a few sets of 29-11x10s off to almost no tread, and they arent that much lighter, and definitely not any less stiff. If they got less stiff you'd have a lot of issues running them in heavy Ag applications, heck my 602 is 12500lbs all up, and the sidewalls can't be getting more flexible as the tread wears off. That would be a recipe for disaster. Unless they are maybe shaving some sidewall material off as well?
A1Skinner offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 5218
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:38 am
Location: Eaglesham
FindMeSpot URL: [url:1vzmrq4a]http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0az97SSJm2Ky58iEMJLqgaAQvVxMnGp6G[/url:1vzmrq4a]
Aircraft: Cessna 210J, Citabria 7GCBC, AT402/502/602

Re: 26 or 29?

Okay, let's evaluate a bit of BS being slung here:

Here is the 29 x 11 x 10 tire I am referring to: https://shop.vseaviation.com/products/g ... item/31331

Note that this is a FOUR PLY tire, NOT the ten ply tire of the same size they offer, and which might be appropriate on an Airtractor 802.

THIS tire is listed as 24 pounds. Now, it is a tube type tire, of course, so you have to add 6 pounds for the tube. So, that comes out to 30 pounds, BEFORE buffing off the tread. How much does that reduce the weight of the tire? I have no idea, but I'm betting it's north of six or eight pounds....nevertheless, even if you run them full tread, they are LIGHTER than 29 inch Bushwheels, as noted here:

Now, let's look at Alaska Bushwheel 29 inch tires, and BTW, most 180/185 folks order the heavy tread version of this tire, which wears far better on pavement ops: https://mcfarlanealaska.com/collections ... escription Check out the weight of the heavy tread 29: 34 pounds. Or, if you want to go with the lighter version: 32 pounds. That's 2 pounds HEAVIER than a FULL TREAD 29 x 11 x 10 tire and tube.

How are we doing so far on the bullshit front?

Let's look at pricing, just for fun: Heavy tread 29 inch bushwheel: $2381 per tire.
Full tread 29x11x10 from VSI: $475.95 plus $303 for tube
(Bushwheels Price, buffed: $1040, plus the tube)

Used to be that there were several tire outfits around the country that could/would buff these tires, but even if you buy them already buffed from Bushwheel/McFarlane, they're about half the price of a 29 inch bushwheel.

Now, the 29x11x10 tires need larger wheels, as well, and there's no doubt that adds weight. Let's look at that:

ABI-75-T 6 inch wheel assemblies: 11 pounds each
ABI-1010 10 inch wheel assemblies: 20 pounds.

So, yes, IF you use the ABI wheels, those add 9 pounds to the assembly, and one tire/wheel assembly would come out to 50 pounds. Of course, you'll also have brake weight, but those are the same for either setup....the 10 inch brakes are the same as the 6 inch.
And, a set of 29 inch Bushwheels on ABI 6 inch wheels are going to weigh 45 pounds, again, plus the weight of brakes, which are the same as the 10 inch sets.

But, of course, a LOT of planes operating on the 10 inch tires are using the old 10 inch wheel adapters. I'm not sure how much lighter they are than the ABI wheels, but they are lighter. Maybe someone here can weigh one.

So, to compare apples to apples, the 29x11x10 tire/wheel combination weighs 5 pounds MORE than a set of 29 inch Bushwheels on 6 inch ABI wheels. Ten pounds total for the set. That is significant, but it is NOT huge. And, again, that is a FULL TREAD 29x11x10 tire, not a buffed tire.

Flexible sidewalls? The 29x11x10 tires are not as flexible as Bushwheels, clearly, no argument there. Do I have data? I'm not sure what "data" would look like in that category. And, there's been nothing I'd consider "data" offered here. But, I will tell you that these tires do flex reasonably well when buffed, and yes, I have flown several sets on 185s, generally loaded pretty heavy, and mostly on Bering Sea beaches, but also on a number of river gravel bars as well.

The point is: there is a niche for these tires, and they do NOT have to be as heavy as has been suggested in this thread. And their most endearing feature: They wear like iron on all surfaces, including pavement. For reference, at my airport, a taxi for takeoff can vary from something over a mile and a half, unless you're fairly light, and the taxi MAY be a half mile. We do have a turf runway, but it's further away from GA hangars. And taxi ops EAT Bushwheels. At $4762 a set.....

If your airport is friendlier to Bushwheels, good for you.
mtv offline
Knowledge Base Author
User avatar
Posts: 10584
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:47 am
Location: Bozeman

Re: 26 or 29?

The 29x11x10 tire you showed in the link Mike is made by Aeroclassic (as opposed to the Airhawk) and i’m pretty sure comes as a smooth tyre, same as the 8.50x10 smooth tire they also offer. So no buffing needed on that one if i am correct. I have the 8.50x10’s and like them a lot. No speed loss on the 8.50x6 but a significantly larger foot print. I don't know what they weigh compared to the 8.50x6.
Another good link for tire and wheel weight comparisons https://www.seaplanesnorth.com/tundra-tires/
JamieG offline
User avatar
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:06 am
Location: OngaOnga
Aircraft: C180J, O520

Re: 26 or 29?

JamieG wrote:The 29x11x10 tire you showed in the link Mike is made by Aeroclassic (as opposed to the Airhawk) and i’m pretty sure comes as a smooth tyre, same as the 8.50x10 smooth tire they also offer. So no buffing needed on that one if i am correct. I have the 8.50x10’s and like them a lot. No speed loss on the 8.50x6 but a significantly larger foot print. I don't know what they weigh compared to the 8.50x6.
Another good link for tire and wheel weight comparisons https://www.seaplanesnorth.com/tundra-tires/


Good catch! Desser became VSE a while back, and they are the purveyors of the Air Classic and Airhawk tires. Their website isn't the easiest to navigate.

But, here's the 29x11x10 smooth four ply tire: https://shop.vseaviation.com/products/g ... item/31331. Weight is 24 pounds, same as the treaded tire, which implies more rubber. My 8.50s have a lot of rubber and could easily be buffed some.
mtv offline
Knowledge Base Author
User avatar
Posts: 10584
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:47 am
Location: Bozeman

Re: 26 or 29?

A1Skinner wrote:
StillLearning wrote:I have never been a fan of 10" wheels, at least not on a180/185.

I mounted up a set of 29-11-10 a few years back, they were HEAVY. So, heavy that I put them on the scale, 63# for a tire and wheel. Shaved or not that's insane. Tires made for an 802 have no place on a 185.


The 802s actually run an even bigger tire, with a 12" wheel! And I've worn a few sets of 29-11x10s off to almost no tread, and they arent that much lighter, and definitely not any less stiff. If they got less stiff you'd have a lot of issues running them in heavy Ag applications, heck my 602 is 12500lbs all up, and the sidewalls can't be getting more flexible as the tread wears off. That would be a recipe for disaster. Unless they are maybe shaving some sidewall material off as well?


If you're running these tires on an Air Tractor, I'm betting that they are the 10 ply flavor, not the 4 ply. Here's one of those: Note the weight: 34 pounds. https://shop.vseaviation.com/products/g ... /078-446-1
mtv offline
Knowledge Base Author
User avatar
Posts: 10584
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:47 am
Location: Bozeman

Re: 26 or 29?

I have the VSE 31331 29x11x10 Aeroclassic smooth tires on Grove 10” wheels with their 8” disc and associated larger caliper on my 1976 185. It’s an STC’d tubeless setup from Seaplanes North. 82 pounds, 41 a side, wheels, brakes, tubeless tires. The STC also allows VSE 31334 8.50x10 tubeless, that setup is 37 pounds per side. These are actual weights, I weighed all components. I really like the Grove/VSE (desser) setup and find it to be perfect for me. The 8.50x10 is probably the perfect 180/185 tire for most of us and it’s only $375 per tire.

I also have the VSE 31330 aeroclassic 31” smoothies on my Bearhawk patrol, tubeless as well. They’re 6 years old and are just starting to show the first signs of wear on the dots. I’ve easily got another 6 plus years to go on them. Lots of pavement, lots of flying.

All of these tires have been great thus far. Just a heads up, they overestimate their sizes. Their 29s are really 27” ish, maybe 27.5”. The 31s are 29”, the 8.50x10s are around 25”. The 31s have a considerably larger footprint than their 29s and the 31s have tripled in price since they were introduced 7 or 8 years ago.
mpm offline
Supporter
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:49 pm
Location: Camas
Aircraft: C185, BH Patrol

Re: 26 or 29?

I bought the heavy tread version but now I’m thinking I should’ve gotten the regular one. Ops are nearly all on either gravel runways or gravel bars and sandbars. Asphalt would be a rare occurrence. I do some mountain stuff in the cub but I doubt I’d take the 180 there as it’s somewhat rough and the shards of rock can be sharp as glass in some spots.
alaskan9974 offline
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:17 am
Location: Fairbanks

Re: 26 or 29?

I have been following this closely as I have single puck brakes and original wheels. I use the airplane so I need to upgrade. My AI robot made this chart with a few prompts. Will try to get it into the knowledge database if you guys don’t find too many errors. Is it close to truth data?
Cessna_180_Wheel_Brake_Weight_Price_Comparison.pdf
(4.42 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
silflexer offline
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:13 pm
Location: Denver

Re: 26 or 29?

26 inch Good Years are a perfect run about tire for a 185 and 206 they have almost no speed loss over 850s and are noticeably better in rough terrain. They wear like iron probably outlast most private pilots. I also run them on my 206 , the perfect tire for a heavier aircraft.

They do not have the floatation of a 29 inch Bush wheel in deep sand or real rough ground but are a real good middle of the road tire.

They outlast a standard 850 tire and you probably have to buy 4 sets of bush-wheels to get the same life out of them as one set of
26 inch blimp tires.
Bush Buggy offline
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: whitehorse
Aircraft: Maule and Cessna 206

DISPLAY OPTIONS

Previous
29 posts • Page 2 of 2 • 1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Latest Features

Latest Knowledge Base