Backcountry Pilot • Cessna 180/185 Cargomore cargo door STC

Cessna 180/185 Cargomore cargo door STC

This subforum is meant to organize Skywagon-related topics.
10 posts • Page 1 of 1

Cessna 180/185 Cargomore cargo door STC

There is Cessna 185 out there that had its 15 minutes of fame over the weekend when it went up for sale for $110,000. It looks like the ads have been taken down now but it was notable for a reason: it had the Cargomore STC installed. And unlike the stretcher door mod (factory?) this one does not disqualify it for use on floats. It does disqualify it from looking good since it makes the windows look wonky.

Curious if anyone has ever used one of these in a Skywagon and if the airframe creaked. :lol:

Image
Image
Zzz offline
Janitorial Staff
Posts: 2992
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Nowhere
Aircraft: None

Re: Cessna 180/185 Cargomore cargo door STC

That would sure be nice. The small baggage door is the worst thing about the airplane.
Ross4289 offline
User avatar
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:38 am
Location: Eveleth
FindMeSpot URL: 300434034825650
Aircraft: 185

Re: Cessna 180/185 Cargomore cargo door STC

Ross4289 wrote:That would sure be nice. The small baggage door is the worst thing about the airplane.

It would be nice, squeezing things through the mini baggage door does tend to suck a bit.
In my experience though the worst thing about the airplane tends to be the pilot(at least when I'm flying :shock: ).
DreadPirateWill offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:40 am
Location: Spokane

Re: Cessna 180/185 Cargomore cargo door STC

Leaning in on tippy toes from the floats with your whole torso in there is not fun. If you have a helper it is better.

Last weekend was a full load (like almost every weekend for me) and i had a dog crate with a dog in it, and a new air conditioner in the aft baggage, a car seat with my 2 year old in the 4th seat, a giant cooler full of food that was just a little too big for the baggage door, and a play pen that was also too big for the baggage door and a bunch of other crap jammed in.

Float lockers were also full and are about an inch too narrow for the average gear. (Aerocets would solve this)

It’s like a puzzle to load a 185 because it can haul a lot of weight but nothing fits anywhere.

It’s just barely enough airplane to do a weekend family trip on floats.
Ross4289 offline
User avatar
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:38 am
Location: Eveleth
FindMeSpot URL: 300434034825650
Aircraft: 185

Re: Cessna 180/185 Cargomore cargo door STC

The solution to your problem was build by Cessna — it is called a Cessna 206 :D
Bush Buggy offline
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: whitehorse
Aircraft: Maule and Cessna 206

Re: Cessna 180/185 Cargomore cargo door STC

There is a straight tail C182 that lives at Johnson Creek during the summer with one of these doors installed.

That is the extent of what I know about this modification.
Scolopax offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 1718
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Nottingham
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... 4aYqSexnZC

Re: Cessna 180/185 Cargomore cargo door STC

Fairly confident that is the same aircraft that was at Chena Marina in Fairbanks at least 17 years ago. Steve (seller) said it was formerly in Fairbanks. I looked at it then and it appeared as any other working class 185 (rough) excepting the unique door modification. I would surely thoroughly validate the engineering used for the basis of approval. I am curious as to how much weight is added due to required strengthening of the door "bay", as well as the door itself. In most cases it is typically best just to get the right tool for the mission to begin with (Beaver :) )

TR
TR offline
User avatar
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:08 am
Location: Hudson Valley
Aircraft: PA-18A
C-180H
DHC-2
G-164 Ag Cat

Re: Cessna 180/185 Cargomore cargo door STC

I think a guy I know used to own that airplane, or one with a similar door.
What's the tail number?
I can't quite make it or the s/n out on the door-mounted decal.
hotrod180 offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 10604
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:47 pm
Location: Port Townsend, WA
Cessna Skywagon -- accept no substitute!

Re: Cessna 180/185 Cargomore cargo door STC

That would be my 185 I just bought and made the senility mistake of listing for sale while I wait to have it transported for rebuild. If anyone has anymore info on the Cargomore Door it would be much appreciated. I tried tracking down then STC IP holder but the company is no longer in business in TX. Yes this plane spent a large amount of its life in Fairbanks on and off Floats every season until ending up on Wheels in TX.
StevenStyles offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2026 9:58 am
Location: Melbourne Beach
Aircraft: Cessna A185F & 185D

Re: Cessna 180/185 Cargomore cargo door STC

I have a friend who owned a 1958 C180 that was originally from ALCOR with the Cargomore door installed that I believe was purchased from the Healy Mortuary in Salinas. Unfortunately it was substantially damaged at China Hot Springs approximately 42 miles northeast of Fairbanks, AK. I have the documentation and correspondence from the 1960's between the ALCOR Aviation Inc., in San Antonio and the mortuary including brochures. The basic kit was $1467.00 in 1965. One or two windows installed in the kit were optional. I will get these scanned and post. Steve, I would be happy to mail you the originals as you may appreciate them, they have been in a folder for almost 20 years. PM me your address. Bruce
limerick offline
User avatar
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:42 pm
Location: Healdsburg
Aircraft: Cessna 180 Skywagon

DISPLAY OPTIONS

10 posts • Page 1 of 1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Latest Features

Latest Knowledge Base