Early 180 generator
Have problems with your aircraft? Maybe just questions about how best to tune or adjust something? Regs or maintenance? Need to know the best way to do something?
My generator stopped charging today. Appears the bearing got really stiff and the belt was slipping. Working on getting that solved quickly. But, for longer term, does anyone know of anyone that can overhaul an old generator? Or does someone have a generator that was working when removed that perhaps still has some life left in it?
I am NOT going to swap to an alternator until I have to, for a variety of reasons.
-
StillLearning offline

-
Posts:
467
- Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:22 pm
- Location: Salmon
- Aircraft: Cessna 180 Skywagon 1953
-
Not sure about aviation-specific repair options, but I have used Haines Auto Electric in twin falls for similar overhauls. Might just need to tell them it’s for a boat.

-
CParker offline


-
Posts:
514
- Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 8:21 am
- Location: SMN
- Aircraft: 1979 TU206G
-
-
Rob offline


-
Posts:
1591
- Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:34 am
Husky Auto Electric in Boise had done stuff for me in the past. No need to tell them it's from a boat, he knows what it is and doesn't care.
-
Dale Moul offline

-
Posts:
525
- Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:37 pm
- Location: Boise Idaho
Dale
Gravity Strikes Again.
Do you trust your mechanical abilities enough to do it yourself? Pretty easy to repair according to a 'friend'.
I'm guessing its a Delco-Remy? Parts are (were) easy to find. I may have an old one stashed in y hangar, but I think it's only a 35 amp version. No longer have any planes that use a generator.
-
WWhunter offline


-
Posts:
2062
- Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:54 pm
- Location: Minnesota
- Aircraft: RANS S-7
Murphy Rebel
VANS RV-8
-
DISPLAY OPTIONS
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests