Backcountry Pilot • Early 180 generator

Early 180 generator

Have problems with your aircraft? Maybe just questions about how best to tune or adjust something? Regs or maintenance? Need to know the best way to do something?
7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Early 180 generator

My generator stopped charging today. Appears the bearing got really stiff and the belt was slipping. Working on getting that solved quickly. But, for longer term, does anyone know of anyone that can overhaul an old generator? Or does someone have a generator that was working when removed that perhaps still has some life left in it?

I am NOT going to swap to an alternator until I have to, for a variety of reasons.
StillLearning online
Supporter
Posts: 468
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:22 pm
Location: Salmon
Aircraft: Cessna 180 Skywagon 1953

Re: Early 180 generator

Not sure about aviation-specific repair options, but I have used Haines Auto Electric in twin falls for similar overhauls. Might just need to tell them it’s for a boat. :mrgreen:
CParker offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 514
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 8:21 am
Location: SMN
Aircraft: 1979 TU206G

Re: Early 180 generator

PM sent
Rob offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 1591
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:34 am

Re: Early 180 generator

Husky Auto Electric in Boise had done stuff for me in the past. No need to tell them it's from a boat, he knows what it is and doesn't care.
Dale Moul offline
User avatar
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:37 pm
Location: Boise Idaho
Dale
Gravity Strikes Again.

Re: Early 180 generator

Do you trust your mechanical abilities enough to do it yourself? Pretty easy to repair according to a 'friend'.

I'm guessing its a Delco-Remy? Parts are (were) easy to find. I may have an old one stashed in y hangar, but I think it's only a 35 amp version. No longer have any planes that use a generator.
WWhunter offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 2062
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:54 pm
Location: Minnesota
Aircraft: RANS S-7
Murphy Rebel
VANS RV-8

Re: Early 180 generator

I'm with you on sticking with a generator, my 53 has a 35A gen & I have no plans to "upgrade".

I'm pretty sure at least one of the accessory outfits still overhauls generators--
sometimes they overhaul yours (long-ish wait), sometimes they just do an exchange for one they have ready.
Maybe check the aircraft spruce catalog & see if they list them.

FWIW my small town has an auto-electric shop which has worked on my airplane stuff.
The owner is an old pilot, so I don't have to pull that "it's for a tractor" BS with him.
hotrod180 online
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 10605
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:47 pm
Location: Port Townsend, WA
Cessna Skywagon -- accept no substitute!

Re: Early 180 generator

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I can get mine operational until I acquire one that I can overhaul. Looks like the bearings got really stiff and the belt started slipping. Just spraying some penetrating oil on the rear bearing made it spin much easier. But it seems the shaft is stuck in the bearing, so I can't get the end cap off yet.
StillLearning online
Supporter
Posts: 468
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:22 pm
Location: Salmon
Aircraft: Cessna 180 Skywagon 1953

DISPLAY OPTIONS

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hotrod180 and 4 guests

Latest Features

Latest Knowledge Base