Backcountry Pilot • Idaho Foreflight content pack

Idaho Foreflight content pack

All airport data is managed by Shortfield.com. If you have questions or suggestions, look here.
9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Idaho Foreflight content pack

Note: the file on this post has been updated from 1.3 to 1.5, see my response below in the thread for the reason.

Hey guys, I improved upon a some user waypoints (KML) originally distributed several years ago by Advflying. Figured I'd share it with everyone. The two original KML files were merged into a content pack, a couple of duplicate strips were deleted, and the labels were improved quite a bit from original. Please let me know if you guys see anything that should be changed or added.

IMG_4633.png
Idaho_Backcountry_1_5.zip
(489.3 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Last edited by CParker on Fri Oct 02, 2026 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CParker offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 514
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 8:21 am
Location: SMN
Aircraft: 1979 TU206G

Re: Idaho Foreflight content pack

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing!
Scolopax offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 1718
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Nottingham
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... 4aYqSexnZC

Re: Idaho Foreflight content pack

Pretty cool, thank you!!
Schwarz offline
User avatar
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:42 pm
Location: Ovalo
Aircraft: Weed Rocket
1978 180K Skywagon w/Robertson STOL

Re: Idaho Foreflight content pack

I thought I was pretty good with Foreflight. First, what a great project and my sincere thanks.

Possible to give me a short tutorial on uploading your files into Foreflight? Thanks.
375handh offline
User avatar
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:07 am
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
It takes a big man to cry. But it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Re: Idaho Foreflight content pack

375handh wrote:I thought I was pretty good with Foreflight. First, what a great project and my sincere thanks.

Possible to give me a short tutorial on uploading your files into Foreflight? Thanks.


Sure, you'll need to first get the file to your device. I'm only familiar with the iPhone/iPad process, so Android may be different.

Step 1: Use some sort of cloud service to share the file to your device or download the file directly to your phone/tablet.
Step 2: Long press the zip file from your file browser and select "share"
Step 3: Share it directly to the Foreflight app.
Step 4: You will find the new layers at the bottom of the layer dropdown from the map screen

If you want to remove the content, navigate to settings>custom content, select the content pack and select delete.

I hope that helps.

Also one quick clarification: the strips file is meant to locate strips which do NOT already show up on Foreflight maps. IE: hoodoo meadows was deleted from the file because it now shows up on Foreflight.
IMG_4634.png
CParker offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 514
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 8:21 am
Location: SMN
Aircraft: 1979 TU206G

Re: Idaho Foreflight content pack

Guys, important update, I swapped out the file for a "1.5" version because I realized the 1.3 that I uploaded was not centering the icon over the point but rather the entire label over the point which made them scale funny and created a bit of confusion. The new file has the icon centered properly over the point. I also added the mouth of big creek, Napoleon ridge, and Williams creek summit.

Anyways, I'm happy to continue to add bonafide reporting points to the pack. I'd really like for this to be a good safety tool for aviators because there seems to be a lot of confusion in the back country about reporting points and I hear quite a few calls which I consider to be non-standard and difficult for pilots who are new to the area to interpret.
CParker offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 514
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 8:21 am
Location: SMN
Aircraft: 1979 TU206G

Re: Idaho Foreflight content pack

Thank you for doing this and publishing it for free. Inspirational…I need to get busy and do likewise for sections on the way to Alaska.
tedwaltman offline
Contributing author + Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 7:51 pm
Location: Lakewood
FindMeSpot URL: https://share.delorme.com/tedwaltman
Aircraft: Experimental Super Cub

Re: Idaho Foreflight content pack

Well that took about 15 seconds to install. Thanks for all the wonderful pro bono work.
375handh offline
User avatar
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:07 am
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
It takes a big man to cry. But it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Re: Idaho Foreflight content pack

Downloaded and installed
Utah-Jay offline
User avatar
Posts: 366
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:22 pm
Location: Heber City
Aircraft: Bearhawk Companion

DISPLAY OPTIONS

9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Latest Features

Latest Knowledge Base