Backcountry Pilot • New to me P206E

New to me P206E

This subforum is meant to organize topics for tricycle utility aircraft 205, 206, 207, maybe 208 if you're really cool.
12 posts • Page 1 of 1

New to me P206E

IMG_7144.jpeg
IMG_7144.jpeg (112.09 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
IMG_1993.jpeg
IMG_2002.jpeg
Hello - this summer I found the next airplane after selling my A185F of 20 years. A 1970 P206E (2 FWD doors, wide H Stab, no chin bump)
Bought in May, flew from Youngstown OH to Glendale AZ for a few months then up to Auburn WA and my base airport. All good. The plane has just enough “issues” to ward off a few buyers and made for a great deal. More details later.
Question for the day: what size tires can I I install on stock wheels/nose gear fork? I have a Cleveland 5” NW and 6” McCauley mains. Can I go to a 5x6 NW tire and 8.50x6 on the mains?
On the 185 I needed the Kenmore Cleveland STC for the 8.50 mains.
Thx in advance.
dar636 offline
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:06 am
Location: Lake Tapps
Aircraft: Cessna A185F (sold)
Cessna P206E

Re: New to me P206E

I don’t think you’ll want to with the smaller fork. With the Cessna hd nose fork you can fit a 700 but the book likely list 600 as your max. There is a new ac43.13 2c that describes means for a ia to sign off on larger tires than the poh lists but that’s going to be dependent on their comfort level. Airglas makes a larger fork and has an stc for larger tires all around.

Congrats on the plane!
Josef offline
User avatar
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:01 pm
Location: Sherwood
Aircraft: 205A

Re: New to me P206E

dar636 wrote:.... this summer I found the next airplane after selling my A185F of 20 years. A 1970 P206E (2 FWD doors, wide H Stab, no chin bump).....


I'm curious what prompted the change?
Couple years ago, a buddy of mine sold the ponked C180 he'd owned for over 25 years,
and bought a 206 which he promptly upgraded with an IO550.
He used to fill that 180 all the way up, including the extended baggage--
I don't know if he can haul any more in the 206, but he can do it legally (within gross weight),
plus easier loading / unloading with that big back door.

BTW there's a couple private strips near lake Tapps, are you at one of them-- maybe Flying H?
I'm up here at Jefferson County.
hotrod180 offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 10606
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:47 pm
Location: Port Townsend, WA
Cessna Skywagon -- accept no substitute!

Re: New to me P206E

Several factors, mainly I was ready for a change having had all taildraggers up to this point. The 185 was certainly the best when sold, this 206 will be its equal when finished. Compared to the 185 when bought the 206 is in better material condition so it’s a great example to start with.
After the Skywagon the only other Cessna I was interested in was the 206 line and looked for the better part of a year.
I am at Auburn, S50. I’ll be through PT a couple of times a year to stop at the Spruce Goose a favorite of ours.
Here’s a pic of the wagon
IMG_1216.jpeg
dar636 offline
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:06 am
Location: Lake Tapps
Aircraft: Cessna A185F (sold)
Cessna P206E

Re: New to me P206E

Get a HD fork with 600-6 or 700-6. youll need a wheel as well.

then you can put 800 or 850s.

What other plans you got for this Big tail P206?
Cameron96 offline
User avatar
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:59 am
Location: sudbury
Aircraft: C206 Turbine

Re: New to me P206E

This will be the new family cruiser. It's currently configured as a camera/patrol aircraft (long tail pipes, belly camera port) and flies under a restricted C of A. It holds a FAA standard certificate as well and can be switched between the two by adding or removing the restricted components and making logbook entries. In the standard config the camera port has cover plates, the exhaust extensions are removed and the rear seats can be re-installed.
The plane came with a new artex interior, new exhaust system and all the needed drawings, records and FAA approvals. The February annual will see the configuration get switched over.
For the gear, I want to set it up to handle a 6.00x6 NW tire and 8.50x6 mains - or go with wheel pants if I think we'll end up traveling more than camping.
dar636 offline
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:06 am
Location: Lake Tapps
Aircraft: Cessna A185F (sold)
Cessna P206E

Re: New to me P206E

Sold my 57’ 180 and got P206 . ….6.0 nosewheel 8.50 mains works great . Hate to say it but i dont really miss the 180 . 1700# usefull in the 206 compared to 911#s in the 180 . Also not rubbing shoulders with your bro’s while flying is very nice . ……
low rider offline
User avatar
Posts: 792
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:43 pm
Location: Tahoe
vail

Re: New to me P206E

dar636, you mentioned Glendale Az. Do you spend time there in the winter? I do. I have a home in Surprise and a hangar at Glendale.

Cheers...Rob
OregonMaule offline
User avatar
Posts: 6986
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: Orygun
My SPOT page

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety". Ben Franklin
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin

Re: New to me P206E

The easiest setup for tires is to purchase the Airglas nose fork kit. That STC approves up to 8.50 x 6 nose wheel, and all sorts of mains, including 8.50s. We ran that kit on a 206 with 8.50 x 6 mains (which will fit on your main wheels), and an 8.00 x6 nose tire, which requires a bigger wheel as well. Not cheap, but the best combination for one of these airplanes in my opinion.
mtv offline
Knowledge Base Author
User avatar
Posts: 10588
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:47 am
Location: Bozeman

Re: New to me P206E

OregonMaule - I just finished up a year long contract in Goodyear and am heading back to WA in October, I had a hangar for the summer at GEU. Will be back in December as a retired person tho the 206 will stay in WA this time. We have a place in Litchfield Park.

mtv - Thanks all for the wheel/tire info, I'll shop the airglas fork and STC and decide on the combo when I find one. I am still considering wheel pants for speed as this will be mostly an improved field family plane.

The 185/206 comparisons are pretty much spot on with my experience too. There isn't much the 206 doesn't do as well as the 185 I had, I like the 206's heavy feel tho so maybe I'm the odd one. :)
dar636 offline
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:06 am
Location: Lake Tapps
Aircraft: Cessna A185F (sold)
Cessna P206E

Re: New to me P206E

For most intends and purpose's the 206 is just a better aircraft than a 185 unless you just really want a 185.

Mtv is spot on with the 800 nose and 850 mains as an all around set up. You can get away with an 700 tire and a Cessna heavy duty fork but if you do any soft ground ops I like a bigger front wheel. The light early moddels are very nose heavy when lightly loaded.
We run 850 on the nose and 26 inch wheels on the mains for our bush operation in summer and the 800 8.50 combo for winter ops where the Bushwheels are to slippy.
Bush Buggy offline
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: whitehorse
Aircraft: Maule and Cessna 206

Re: New to me P206E

I love the P206, frankly I’m a little surprised Cessna doesn’t bring it back since no one buys 206s for cargo anymore.

Agreed on the 800/850 combo. It’s what I run and I’ve been happy with it. I get a little bit of gear leg shake in cruise but perfectly tolerable. I ran a 700 in the stock HD fork for a while and it was snug, I filed off the casting joints inside the fork.
CParker offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 515
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 8:21 am
Location: SMN
Aircraft: 1979 TU206G

DISPLAY OPTIONS

12 posts • Page 1 of 1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Latest Features

Latest Knowledge Base