Backcountry Pilot • Plane crash map

Plane crash map

Debrief, share, and hopefully learn from the mistakes of others.
8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Plane crash map

Find crashes in your state: thought this could be useful,,to learn from,,people's mistakes,,
http://www.planecrashmap.com
52Romeo offline
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:26 pm
Location: Redmond,ore.

Re: Plane crash map

Wow.

Image
Zzz offline
Janitorial Staff
Posts: 2992
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Nowhere
Aircraft: None

Re: Plane crash map

Man, you Oregon pilots sure crash a lot. Is all that from just one pilot or several? :shock:
hotrod180 offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 10607
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:47 pm
Location: Port Townsend, WA
Cessna Skywagon -- accept no substitute!

Re: Plane crash map

hotrod150 wrote:Man, you Oregon pilots sure crash a lot. Is all that from just one pilot or several? :shock:


...I'm sure that search was done using the "out of state pilots" perameters. :D
clippwagon offline
User avatar
Posts: 737
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:49 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Plane crash map

I am not sure I get this map. All the crashes around my area are old, like 80's and early 90's old.
What is the purpose of this map? It's doesn't seem to be to find old wreckage on the sides of mountains to hike into. It doesn't do anything for warning pilots of pontetial dangers. It am not sure why anyone went through the trouble of making it.

D.
DavidB. offline
User avatar
Posts: 377
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:46 am
Location: Chelan

Re: Plane crash map

DavidB. wrote:I am not sure I get this map. All the crashes around my area are old, like 80's and early 90's old.
What is the purpose of this map? It's doesn't seem to be to find old wreckage on the sides of mountains to hike into. It doesn't do anything for warning pilots of pontetial dangers. It am not sure why anyone went through the trouble of making it.

D.


It's NTSB data, plotted on a map rather than shown in a list-- just another view of the data. Haven't you ever filtered the NTSB accident database for your own state?

I find quite a bit of value in being able to identify the accidents that have occurred around my home area and the airports I most frequent from a map view rather than a list.
Zzz offline
Janitorial Staff
Posts: 2992
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Nowhere
Aircraft: None

Re: Plane crash map

I have wondered what percentage of tundra tired planes end up crashing in some form. I think the "feeling" you get after having them, helps put you out on the fringes of safety.

I also suspect the tundra tired planes have one of the lowest injury / incident ratio too.
patrol guy offline
User avatar
Posts: 1748
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:52 pm
Location: east of the river
...remember, life is uncertain, eat desert first!
... and, those that pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who don't.

Re: Plane crash map

Zane wrote:
DavidB. wrote:I am not sure I get this map. All the crashes around my area are old, like 80's and early 90's old.
What is the purpose of this map? It's doesn't seem to be to find old wreckage on the sides of mountains to hike into. It doesn't do anything for warning pilots of pontetial dangers. It am not sure why anyone went through the trouble of making it.

D.


It's NTSB data, plotted on a map rather than shown in a list-- just another view of the data. Haven't you ever filtered the NTSB accident database for your own state?

I find quite a bit of value in being able to identify the accidents that have occurred around my home area and the airports I most frequent from a map view rather than a list.


I have looked at the NTSB data base many times. I am familiar with just about every crash, both fatal and non fatal that has happened in my area. Thats why I am questioning the data this map provides on my area. It seem to be missing at least 3 fatal. I also think there should be no difference when analyzing data between fatal and messed up real bad/never be the same again crashes. This is very important to consider when comparing crashes from even 10 years ago to now.
First responders get there faster and can do more, and once in the hands of doctors, even people who were fatal 5 years ago now get to live, maybe not live well, but it does change the statistics.

I do like the map and think it is neat. I hope it grows to include all crashes and incidents in the future. Maybe the programer can also figure out how to make it auto update from the NTSB so it reflects the most current data.

D.


D.
DavidB. offline
User avatar
Posts: 377
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:46 am
Location: Chelan

DISPLAY OPTIONS

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Latest Features

Latest Knowledge Base