Backcountry Pilot • Pucker Factor in a Stinson

Pucker Factor in a Stinson

Links to general aviation backcountry flying-oriented videos. It can be yours or stuff you find on the internet. Please no airline/military.
23 postsPage 1 of 21, 2

Pucker Factor in a Stinson

Check out this link I found over on Beechtalk. Close call in a Stinson. Not sure why he chose not to use flaps. Hard to tell how much of a grade the strip had, but this reminds me of the importance of always having a "shut it down and get on the brakes point" on the takeoff roll.

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/3346010/67 ... /Trial.wmv
highroad offline
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... SBWeUVDhQd
Aircraft: A Maule we call X-ray

Re: Pucker Factor in a Stinson

That is way past pucker factor! This video is circulating like wildfire right now. I first saw it on FB and it quickly made it's way to Youtube. Guy is lucky he's not in pieces at the bottom of the lake down there. Easy one to Monday morning quarterback but I know I was yelling at my screen shut it down shut it down!!

AvidFlyer offline
Experimental Avid Flyer STOL 582 Rotax

The other "P" factor
No flaps???? seemed like a lazy takeoff roll. Maybe he was loaded to gross with a high density altitude. That was close.
obxbushpilot offline
Aircraft: C 172 Tailwheel

MountainMatt dug out the story that goes with it for us last night in chat....here it is...

Oh dear... Have to 'fess up. Things do come back to haunt one, don't they? This was me, Selina, in GYYF. Of course I have already received this video a few times in the last couple of days. I think it was 1999 or 2000.

What can I say? It was hot, I had 2 passengers and thought I knew more than I did about short field takeoffs. This little field is just outside of Victoria B.C. and once we were in the air we headed straight to Nanaimo's LONG runway to land and assess damages. The only victims, other than my pride, were the gear fairings as I did a bit of landscaping on the way out.

What was I thinking? I sure didn't use correct short field procedures and quickly ran out of room. I knew I was in trouble and also knew I was committed to the takeoff. As we lifted off my right seat passenger, a more experienced pilot (as was the second passenger in the back), was quick enough to yell at me to push the nose down and was ready to do so himself if I didn't. That instinct to pull up is strong especially with the tops of the trees coming at you.

Just about the best learning experience I've every had... And probably the scariest.

Coincidentally I met the owner of this little field this past weekend at a fly-in and we had a little reminisce about my "incident". The field is still in use although I think they have removed a few more of the trees at the end. I don't think I'll be tackling it again although a little voice inside says perhaps I should go back without passengers and do it properly!
Tadpole offline
Aircraft: Stinson 108-2 wagon w/220hp

Anybody know any details? How hot, load, density altitude, etc? That is a VERY scary vid. I think I have to get my office chair surgically removed from my sphincter.... I bet he's gonna watch that vid a couple times in his head. He left some runway behind him on the initial line up.
Pundy offline

Time to trim those trees!
MtCoyote offline
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... Q4zcUCmX8z

Tadpole wrote:MountainMatt dug out the story that goes with it for us last night in chat....here it is...

Oh dear... Have to 'fess up. Things do come back to haunt one, don't they? This was me, Selina, in GYYF. Of course I have already received this video a few times in the last couple of days. I think it was 1999 or 2000.

What can I say? It was hot, I had 2 passengers and thought I knew more than I did about short field takeoffs. This little field is just outside of Victoria B.C. and once we were in the air we headed straight to Nanaimo's LONG runway to land and assess damages. The only victims, other than my pride, were the gear fairings as I did a bit of landscaping on the way out.

What was I thinking? I sure didn't use correct short field procedures and quickly ran out of room. I knew I was in trouble and also knew I was committed to the takeoff. As we lifted off my right seat passenger, a more experienced pilot (as was the second passenger in the back), was quick enough to yell at me to push the nose down and was ready to do so himself if I didn't. That instinct to pull up is strong especially with the tops of the trees coming at you.

Just about the best learning experience I've every had... And probably the scariest.

Coincidentally I met the owner of this little field this past weekend at a fly-in and we had a little reminisce about my "incident". The field is still in use although I think they have removed a few more of the trees at the end. I don't think I'll be tackling it again although a little voice inside says perhaps I should go back without passengers and do it properly!

Jason/Matt
Thanks for the info.
highroad offline
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... SBWeUVDhQd
Aircraft: A Maule we call X-ray

Know what I notice most about that clip... FIRST, there's 30 or 50 feet of runway behind the airplane before it starts accelerating. I'll bet Dr. Einstein would have loved to have had that extra 50 feet a few seconds later. We all remember the old saying about "runway behind you".

Second, the neurosurgeon didn't bother to use flaps , which would have given the airplane more lift AND some potentially life-saving wing twist.

And I also noticed that when the pilot horsed back on the yoke to get it through the trees, those Stinson wing leading edge slots are likely the only thing that kept it from dropping a wingtip and cartwheeling into the water.

That clip should be used as a sales tool by the VG manufacterers... "Got Lift?"

Actually, I'd like to use that clip as a sales tool myself, to be honest. Looks like the pilot was too preoccupied to ... oops... belay that... one or two of the natives will get restless if I finish that sentence :twisted:
EZFlap offline

I appreciate the pilot's humility to come back and comment on his video describing what happened and what he learned.
ZPilot offline
Supporter
Aircraft: Scout 8GCBC

ZPilot wrote:I appreciate the pilot's humility to come back and comment on his video describing what happened and what he learned.

I too think the pilot was pretty upfront about a mistake that was made 10-12 years ago. Lord knows I have balled up a few times! Sounds like a lesson well learned with no injuries or real damage. Glad to hear the pilot's still flying.
Skystrider offline
Aircraft: Zenith CH701 w/ Jabiru 3300

:shock: :shock: :shock: If he's like me, he did a rolling checklist to keep his prop from getting dinged and ommited the flaps. I have a hard time remembering that without a checklist in my lap and remembering to push the mix full rich in a turbo. Looks like he pulled the elevator up and down about 6 times, not sure what that was all about. Classy explanation by the pilot. =D>
Nosedragger offline
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... ACzcbTgqlT

Sounds like it was a she.
Zzz offline
Janitorial Staff

Zane wrote:Sounds like it was a she.

Ah yes, Selina would most definitely be a she wouldn't it?
Nosedragger offline

Yeeeeeeee. :oops:

I ain't crowing about nuthin'. Been there more than once looking suicidal like that. Damn good thing there were no video cameras around.

Good learning experience, and takes the ego a looooong time to heal from that ass kicking. That's what makes ya old and wise, living through young and dumb.

Gump
GumpAir offline
Aircraft: Old Clunker

Nosedragger wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: If he's like me, he did a rolling checklist to keep his prop from getting dinged and ommited the flaps. I have a hard time remembering that without a checklist in my lap and remembering to push the mix full rich in a turbo. Looks like he pulled the elevator up and down about 6 times, not sure what that was all about. Classy explanation by the pilot. =D>

If a pilot needs a checklist to tell them to use flaps on a short field take off then maybe flying isn't their thing :roll:
robw56 offline
Supporter
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... hqkjZ4hVF9
Aircraft: 1957 C-180A

robw56 wrote:
Nosedragger wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: If he's like me, he did a rolling checklist to keep his prop from getting dinged and ommited the flaps. I have a hard time remembering that without a checklist in my lap and remembering to push the mix full rich in a turbo. Looks like he pulled the elevator up and down about 6 times, not sure what that was all about. Classy explanation by the pilot. =D>

If a pilot needs a checklist to tell them to use flaps on a short field take off then maybe flying isn't their thing :roll:

Maybe, in this case that would be three pilots. The same could be said about landing gear but it happens.
Nosedragger offline

"Those who have.....

....and those who will." We all can learn for other's mistakes as well as our own. Lord knows I've cheated death by inches. No need for name calling.

Bob
z3skybolt offline
Living the Dream

If you fly short hot or high, every one of you out there will be able to look in the mirror like Gump said, Sure glad nobody took a picture of me!!!
If not yet, YOU WILL LATER!!
Some use it as a learning experience, some quit, some never see it, and the unlucky ones don't get to try again!
Been There Done that and was lucky enough to live through it!
Skill and Judgement?? NOPE, JUST LUCKY!!
Remember that ol story about the Glass House?
Have an ol friend who would view that video and say (because he never has a bad word about anyone) Pretty good recovery from a bad mistake!!
Everyone should Look at this as a very good video to watch, especially just before you start your summer back country flying!!
Have as much fun as you can stand.

GT
M6RV6 offline
Supporter
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... sWKXuhKlg2
Have as much Fun as is Safe, and Keep SMILIN! GT,

Cannot believe he/she didn't stall it into the lake when he/she banked to get through the tree's. After landing they probably had to flip a coin to see who got to use the bathroom first. [-o< The reaper doesn't get much closer than that. (all student pilots should watch this video)
whynotfly offline

whynotfly wrote:Cannot believe he/she didn't stall it into the lake when he/she banked to get through the tree's. After landing they probably had to flip a coin to see who got to use the bathroom first. [-o< The reaper doesn't get much closer than that. (all student pilots should watch this video)

I believe it was a she. The story behind this video is on another thread someplace on BCP.
58Skylane offline

DISPLAY OPTIONS

Next
23 postsPage 1 of 21, 2