Backcountry Pilot • Radio scoop delete

Radio scoop delete

Have problems with your aircraft? Maybe just questions about how best to tune or adjust something? Regs or maintenance? Need to know the best way to do something?
7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Radio scoop delete

Hey guys,

I fly year-round and up at 14k feet pretty regularly, and the draft from these scoops is killing me. The local radio shop said go and ahead and block them off permanently as they're not really a good idea to begin with. That said, I'm unsure of the cleanest way to do it. Eliminating the little scoop altogether would be ideal, but does anyone have pictures of it done nicely that I could share with my mechanic? Is there a short term non-jerry-rigged solution for the interim until the scoops are gone?

Thanks
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (156.71 KiB) Viewed 858 times
CParker offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 514
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 8:21 am
Location: SMN
Aircraft: 1979 TU206G

Re: Radio scoop delete

Small chunk of rubber forced in there. Simple, and looks original. Also reversible if for any reason....
mtv offline
Knowledge Base Author
User avatar
Posts: 10587
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:47 am
Location: Bozeman

Re: Radio scoop delete

Rivet in a flush patch.
C180_guy offline
Posts: 493
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:56 pm
Location: Norcal

Re: Radio scoop delete

Dollar/dime patch would be an awful lot of work, and… paint.

I spoodge a dab of ultra grey in there and Bob’s your uncle.
Bigrenna offline
KB and Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 2358
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:02 pm
Location: New England
Aircraft: C180H / C170B
www.bushwagoneast.com

Re: Radio scoop delete

mine were just capped off on the inside
gahi offline
User avatar
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:48 am
Location: Moab
Aircraft: PA18

Re: Radio scoop delete

We made a rubber plug for the scoop with a hole in it just large enough for the OAT probe for the JPI EDM 830. It's a good spot for the probe.
CAVU offline
User avatar
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 4:54 pm

Re: Radio scoop delete

I just screw on a plastic cap for a -16 hose, I take it off in summer. It’s not much, but I’ll take all the airflow I can get when it’s hot.
StillLearning offline
Supporter
Posts: 468
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:22 pm
Location: Salmon
Aircraft: Cessna 180 Skywagon 1953

DISPLAY OPTIONS

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Latest Features

Latest Knowledge Base