Backcountry Pilot • Swapping from early 180 to 185 gear.

Swapping from early 180 to 185 gear.

This subforum is meant to organize Skywagon-related topics.
9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Swapping from early 180 to 185 gear.

I have an early set of gear that has the PPonk kit installed.

One of the gear legs is splayed out and I have some built in bank.

I was thinking of swapping the gear with a set of 185 gear from a few hangers down.

My understanding is the 185 gear will be thicker and will interfere with the beef up kit.

Has anyone done the same swap with the kit already installed? Would I require a whole new kit? Worth waiting around for the same thickness legs?

Thanks!
cheerios2 offline
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:36 pm
Location: Atlanta GA

Re: Swapping from early 180 to 185 gear.

I'm not sure about the fitment, but I suspect that 185 gear is going to be REALLY stiff for an early 180......

Call the Landing Gear Works, or look up Cessna specs.
mtv offline
Knowledge Base Author
User avatar
Posts: 10584
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:47 am
Location: Bozeman

Re: Swapping from early 180 to 185 gear.

Call Jim Hayton at North Sound Aviation- he can validate your gear, heat treat as appropriate- bend back to shape, and yellow tag your current set. 360-661-3302
silflexer offline
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:13 pm
Location: Denver

Re: Swapping from early 180 to 185 gear.

Ditto what MTV & Silflexer said.
My 1953 C180 has 185 gear & I think it's too much of a good thing.
I think the -3 & -4 legs off a 1955-56 180 would be a better match for the weight of my airplane.
hotrod180 offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 10603
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:47 pm
Location: Port Townsend, WA
Cessna Skywagon -- accept no substitute!

Re: Swapping from early 180 to 185 gear.

I too have a '53 with 185 legs.
I do not agree with those that say that is the best setup. 185 gear legs are for a plane with a gross weight of ?3150? On a plane with a gross of 2550 it makes no sense to me, the stiffness tranfers the shock to the airframe.

The only positive that I see is less in flight gear leg wobble with tundra tires.
StillLearning offline
Supporter
Posts: 464
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:22 pm
Location: Salmon
Aircraft: Cessna 180 Skywagon 1953

Re: Swapping from early 180 to 185 gear.

StillLearning wrote:I too have a '53 with 185 legs.
I do not agree with those that say that is the best setup. 185 gear legs are for a plane with a gross weight of ?3150? On a plane with a gross of 2550 it makes no sense to me, the stiffness tranfers the shock to the airframe.

The only positive that I see is less in flight gear leg wobble with tundra tires.


185 went out at 3350 all up.
mtv offline
Knowledge Base Author
User avatar
Posts: 10584
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:47 am
Location: Bozeman

Re: Swapping from early 180 to 185 gear.

Re the fit of the pponk beef-up kit:
Perhaps the notch in the pponk casting could be milled out if required for thicker/wider gear legs.
See pic.

Image
hotrod180 offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 10603
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:47 pm
Location: Port Townsend, WA
Cessna Skywagon -- accept no substitute!

Re: Swapping from early 180 to 185 gear.

I had a 56 and the gear splayed out when loaded heavy, I found a pair of 185 gear .75 thick worked great (just took a bit more finess landing). I just bought a 55 and it;s .70 thick lets trade :D
Glidergeek offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 1944
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:02 pm
Location: Hesperia
Aircraft: 1968 P206C
DG 400

Re: Swapping from early 180 to 185 gear.

I slapped (slopped?) this together for our KB:

https://backcountrypilot.org/knowledge- ... agon#parts
Zzz offline
Janitorial Staff
Posts: 2991
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Nowhere
Aircraft: None

DISPLAY OPTIONS

9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Latest Features

Latest Knowledge Base