Backcountry Pilot • Wilcox Playa Camping?

Wilcox Playa Camping?

Discuss your knowledge of airports and off-airport strips. Help inform other pilots of status, warnings, noise abatement, and closure endangerment. See also: http://www.shortfield.com
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Wilcox Playa Camping?

Hi all. I'm looking to do some Arizona flying next year, and was eyeballing the dry lakebed at Wilcox Playa as a quiet place to spend the night. I looked on Caltopo, whose parcel data shows no ownership? Not sure about that. The color coded "Public Land" overlay shows a couple squares of State land in the sea of Nothing, as well as a section on the west side coded BLM land. I saw there might be a Wildlife or Wilderness area there, but both sources stating that 404'd. There also appears to have been an ultralight fly-in last year out that way (at least the event was posted on Book-Face) but no pictures or posts that I could find about how it went.

Have any of the American SW flyers on here made a visit? Let me know!
Trevair offline
User avatar
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:22 pm
Location: Longmont
Aircraft: Stinson 108

Re: Wilcox Playa Camping?

Have you tried calling the Wilcox airport and asking them? Jim, the guy that ran the Shop and FBO is a great guy. I haven't been there in several years and when I last saw him,he was talking baout retiring. He may be gone by now.

Several planes sitting there that haven't been moved since I lived in the area several decades ago.
WWhunter offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 2060
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:54 pm
Location: Minnesota
Aircraft: RANS S-7
Murphy Rebel
VANS RV-8

Re: Wilcox Playa Camping?

Good call. I rang the FBO and the guy that answered didn't know the legality, but was under the impression folks did land there from time to time. Some further map scrutinizing shows a few smaller BLM sections scattered about the edges of the lake bed, but the fly-in appears to have been on the western edge. I found a few videos showing the event last year, and it looked like a good time.
Trevair offline
User avatar
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:22 pm
Location: Longmont
Aircraft: Stinson 108

DISPLAY OPTIONS

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Latest Features

Latest Knowledge Base