Backcountry Pilot • WTB: ABI-199-62 wheel set

WTB: ABI-199-62 wheel set

Gear for sale, gear wanted, etc. Be sure to read the Required Reading sticky before posting.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1

WTB: ABI-199-62 wheel set

Anyone have an Alaskan Bushwheel ABI-199-62 wheel set or ABI 40-75D wheels they'ed like to sell? Clevelands of the same part number would work too.

I have a set of ABW 31s that I'd like to put on a 8GCBC Scout. Although the 8 1/2" wide Clevelands that came on the Scout are legal per the STC, I've been told they are hard on the tires and not recommended. I have a set of Cleveland 40-84 wheels that came with the tires but I don't believe I can make them legal on the Scout.

Since ACA is installing ABI-199-62 sets on new aircraft, that appears to be the simplest solution.
runt offline
User avatar
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:49 pm
Location: Gilbert
Aircraft: ACA Scout

Re: WTB: ABI-199-62 wheel set

Delete
Bigrenna offline
KB and Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 2358
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:02 pm
Location: New England
Aircraft: C180H / C170B
www.bushwagoneast.com

Re: WTB: ABI-199-62 wheel set

runt wrote:Anyone have an Alaskan Bushwheel ABI-199-62 wheel set or ABI 40-75D wheels they'ed like to sell? Clevelands of the same part number would work too.

I have a set of ABW 31s that I'd like to put on a 8GCBC Scout. Although the 8 1/2" wide Clevelands that came on the Scout are legal per the STC, I've been told they are hard on the tires and not recommended. I have a set of Cleveland 40-84 wheels that came with the tires but I don't believe I can make them legal on the Scout.

Since ACA is installing ABI-199-62 sets on new aircraft, that appears to be the simplest solution.


I don't have wheels to sell you but I do have some information that was hard for me to get so maybe you'll want it:

I went through this same swap in 2020. Felt idiotic that ACA used the wide orphaned Clevelands. I honestly didn't notice when I bought the plane and then realized the work it would take to put bushwheels on. I bought the full new 199-62 ABI kit, back then it was $1900. From your picture, it looks like you have the aluminum landing gear so I believe all of this is exactly apples to apples. You may already know this, but you need new axles and spacers in addition to the new wheels/brakes. It's not immediately obvious but you do. Dale at ACA was immensely helpful and got me set up correctly. Hopefully this saves you some heartache. On the positive side, I sold the removed pieces (axles, wheels, brakes) for $1500 I think. Another plus side, no STC needed since you can just reference this ACA drawing (4-2042) as your approval basis for the swap. I would not attempt to put the bushwheels on the wide wheels, can't imagine that working out well.

The ACA drawing for bushwheel installation has the correct axle and spacer P/Ns:
Image

Image

Image

Old:
Image

New:
Image

Drawing BOM for your current setup. You can see the different axle and spacer setup.
Image
asa offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 1533
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 1:56 pm
Location: ak

Re: WTB: ABI-199-62 wheel set

Thanks for the info ASA.

It makes sense that I'm doing the same thing as you with the wheels as you are partly to blame for me getting a Scout in the first place :wink: I read through your posts when you bought yours and your exploits after you got it. Even looked at the YouTube vids. I chucked at your description of your Maule when you first got it but it seems like it's grown on you.

I do have the new axles from ACA. Not anything brilliant on my part though. Like you, I had no idea the OEM wheels were 8 1/2". There are plenty of pictures of Scouts with Bushwheels on the OEM wheels so I thought they were fine but that doesn't appear to be the case. The STC (at least the one I have) doesn't spell out 6" wide wheels, just the heavy duty brakes. However, I don't want to trash these tires so I'm getting the new wheels. It would be nice if they were still $1900 but that ship has not only sailed, it's made it to port and is on the way back again.

Bigrenna has been very helpful (Thanks Greg!). He's suggesting Aero Classics 8.50 4 ply for the winter too. I currently have 26 GYs for when the 31s aren't on it but I think he's correct, a smaller, lighter tire makes sense when the 31s aren't necessary.

Thanks to both of you for the info.
runt offline
User avatar
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:49 pm
Location: Gilbert
Aircraft: ACA Scout

Re: WTB: ABI-199-62 wheel set

…suggesting Aero Classics 8.50 4 ply for the winter too.


I think if you already have the 29s, having a little bit smaller/lighter tire is the way to go. As I mentioned on the phone, I know as much about Scouts as I do banana cream pies, so just make sure they are approved for the Scout.
Bigrenna offline
KB and Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 2358
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:02 pm
Location: New England
Aircraft: C180H / C170B
www.bushwagoneast.com

Re: WTB: ABI-199-62 wheel set

Bigrenna wrote:I know as much about _____as I do banana cream pies.


You could have picked a more believable example. No one is buying this.
Zzz offline
Janitorial Staff
Posts: 2992
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Nowhere
Aircraft: None

Re: WTB: ABI-199-62 wheel set

Maybe he's better with Boston Cream pies!

Bigrenna, yes those tires are approved. You can't see it but that drawing ASA attached has those tires listed in a note.
runt offline
User avatar
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:49 pm
Location: Gilbert
Aircraft: ACA Scout

DISPLAY OPTIONS

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CYQQ and 6 guests

Latest Features

Latest Knowledge Base