Backcountry Pilot • WTB: J3, Champ, 120/140, T-Craft, etc.

WTB: J3, Champ, 120/140, T-Craft, etc.

Gear for sale, gear wanted, etc. Be sure to read the Required Reading sticky before posting.
15 posts • Page 1 of 1

WTB: J3, Champ, 120/140, T-Craft, etc.

Hi all,

After being overseas for 4 years I'm headed back to the homeland (Canada). I'm keen to purchase an aircraft and it will be my first. I'm interested in any of the classic trainers which should fill my mission: mostly me, sometimes with wife (combined weight of 320lbs). Mostly local flying but the odd 180NM trip to visit family. Keen on ski flying also.

Will be based at CYQF, 3000' elevation.

Prefer Canadian plane, exchange not too favourable for the moment and not too enthusiastic about the import process.

Basic VFR/no electric is fine. 85+hp would be nice. May consider a pacer if it was a good deal, but looking to keep costs low as it will be a time builder.

Thanks all!

Jeff
noodles offline
User avatar
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:14 pm
Location: Red Deer

Re: WTB: J3, Champ, 120/140, T-Craft, etc.

Hey Jeff. I'm up in the CYQU area. I'll keep my ears open for you. I know of a 180HP 7GCBC for sale, but not cheap.
If I hear of anything else I'll let you know.

David

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
A1Skinner offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 5218
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:38 am
Location: Eaglesham
FindMeSpot URL: [url:1vzmrq4a]http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0az97SSJm2Ky58iEMJLqgaAQvVxMnGp6G[/url:1vzmrq4a]
Aircraft: Cessna 210J, Citabria 7GCBC, AT402/502/602

Re: WTB: J3, Champ, 120/140, T-Craft, etc.

I have a friend selling a 65hp Taylorcraft here in BC
daedaluscan offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 1302
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:06 pm
Location: Texada BC

Re: WTB: J3, Champ, 120/140, T-Craft, etc.

In addition to the Champ, you might want to include the Citabria in your "list"... Like the Champ, it's roomier than the others in your list (which might matter a lot on that occasional 180 mile trip you mentioned). But as much as I love my '65 7ECA, I would avoid the early O-200 powered ones (like mine) because they were produced in low-enough numbers that few STCs for skis, alternate props, etc. exist for them. At your relatively light load (320 lbs combined), ANY of the 7-series Citabrias should be fine.

Good luck with your search! Be patient and you'll find the plane you really want!
JP256 offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:52 pm
Location: Cedar Park
Aircraft: Rans S-6ES

Re: WTB: J3, Champ, 120/140, T-Craft, etc.

Takes a relatively smaller shoe to solo J-3 from rear says Size12 EEEE

Low horse power champ easy to fly - the later ones with larger dorsal fin are heavy and tend to land like a brick - [relatively speaking with bit of hyperbole]

If Tcraft - Then, Aeronca Chief is an option - Tcraft probly better choice.
Best in bunch would above would be Tcraft F-19

Don't over look the Piper J-5

Did not much like the c-140 with metalized wings
Since none of the others have flaps the c-120 would be my choice

Just my experiences and opines,

Wannabe be back in any ov em.

Chris C
wannabe offline
User avatar
Posts: 782
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Palo Alto, Calif.
53 C-170-B+

It is better to be late in this world, than early in the next.

Re: WTB: J3, Champ, 120/140, T-Craft, etc.

There is a 7GCB Champ Challenger with an O-320 for sale here in Fort Nelson. '60-'61 if l recall. Out of annual, not pretty, but solid. Metal spars, 1/2 time ish engine I believe. Runs strong. The fellow is asking 25K.

UpNorth
UpNorth offline
User avatar
Posts: 122
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:42 pm
Location: Carcross

Re: WTB: J3, Champ, 120/140, T-Craft, etc.

David, thanks, I'll probably be up your way quite often for work, maybe I'll see you around.

Daedalus, PM'd

Yes, citabria would fit also, along with colt, vagabond, chief, J5, etc. Any low operating cost tailwheel bird.

UpNorth, is that champ listed anywhere? Sounds like a deal if it's solid.

Thanks all.

Jeff
noodles offline
User avatar
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:14 pm
Location: Red Deer

Re: WTB: J3, Champ, 120/140, T-Craft, etc.

noodles wrote:David, thanks, I'll probably be up your way quite often for work, maybe I'll see you around.

Daedalus, PM'd

Yes, citabria would fit also, along with colt, vagabond, chief, J5, etc. Any low operating cost tailwheel bird.

UpNorth, is that champ listed anywhere? Sounds like a deal if it's solid.

Thanks all.

Jeff

Let me know when you are in the area and we should meet up. Sounds like Rods got a good plane on the line for you. Hopefully it works out!

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
A1Skinner offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 5218
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:38 am
Location: Eaglesham
FindMeSpot URL: [url:1vzmrq4a]http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0az97SSJm2Ky58iEMJLqgaAQvVxMnGp6G[/url:1vzmrq4a]
Aircraft: Cessna 210J, Citabria 7GCBC, AT402/502/602

Re: WTB: J3, Champ, 120/140, T-Craft, etc.

Jeff

Champ is not listed to my knowledge. PM me with an email and/or phone # and I will get you in contact with the owner.

Rod
UpNorth
UpNorth offline
User avatar
Posts: 122
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:42 pm
Location: Carcross

Re: WTB: J3, Champ, 120/140, T-Craft, etc.

Thanks Rod, PM'd
noodles offline
User avatar
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:14 pm
Location: Red Deer

Re: WTB: J3, Champ, 120/140, T-Craft, etc.

Personal opinion

NOT a COLT - no differential braking - and when one gets screwy -
all braking gets screwy even on a dirt or wet grass.
No pilot side door.
They are not called a flying MILK STOOL without a reason.
Been there done that- ONLY when nothing else was available.

Just me
wannabe offline
User avatar
Posts: 782
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Palo Alto, Calif.
53 C-170-B+

It is better to be late in this world, than early in the next.

Re: WTB: J3, Champ, 120/140, T-Craft, etc.

wannabe wrote:Personal opinion

NOT a COLT - no differential braking - and when one gets screwy -
all braking gets screwy even on a dirt or wet grass.
No pilot side door.
They are not called a flying MILK STOOL without a reason.
Been there done that- ONLY when nothing else was available.

Just me

I agree. Flew one for about 6-7 hours a few years ago, just outside of El Paso, TX. I learned what "glides like a manhole cover" means... Seriously, I flew Army helicopters for 8 years, and the Colt felt like it had a steeper descent angle then an OH-58 in full power-off autorotation. I tried a couple of simulated engine failures, and seriously wished I had a "chin bubble window" to select my landing area...
JP256 offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:52 pm
Location: Cedar Park
Aircraft: Rans S-6ES

Re: WTB: J3, Champ, 120/140, T-Craft, etc.

Greatly enjoy my C120. With an O-200 it cruises rather nicely at about 110 mph with some not-small tires. And can get me and gear out of a 1500' strip at 4500' MSL with no problem. 2 people on board does change that a bit; so once loaded down, short field capability does diminish. Trick as always with these planes is to keep them light: both in terms of empty weight and what you load in them. I bought it for $15k USD, and routinely you will see similar condition ones go for that or less as the advertised prices are often high and these planes languish on the market.

Image
It's a little plane. Especially compared to some rocks.

Image
1500' airstrip at 4500' MSL. Usually off just after midfield point.

Image
Cruise, fairly lightly loaded. A decently +ISA day. 2650 cruise RPM, about 5.5 an hour burn.

Image
Flying with a C-85 powered one with 29's...probably a heavier airplane overall and it did not perform as well by a good margin. So yes, need to be careful about the specific airframe, its weight and configuration if really trying to optimize for capability.

Image
Arizona backcountry strip.

Image
Red Creek, AZ. 1400' strip; slight tailwind takeoff and was a bit heavy...did good not great.

Image
Off airport; On road. Two people, no prob.
Fiddler offline
User avatar
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:04 pm
Location: Tehachapi
Flying Fiddler

Re: WTB: J3, Champ, 120/140, T-Craft, etc.

If you decide you will buy something 'south of the border', I have a friend that just upgraded to a bigger plane and is selling his T-crate F-21.
WWhunter offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 2059
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:54 pm
Location: Minnesota
Aircraft: RANS S-7
Murphy Rebel
VANS RV-8

Re: WTB: J3, Champ, 120/140, T-Craft, etc.

Hey Jeff, I just wanted to mention that the import process isn't all that scary. It can be if not researched, but if you spend a bit of time and make sure all your ducks and paperwork are in a row, it's pretty easy. That said, the exchange is brutal for us right now. But if you find one for the right price with good records of everything, I wouldn't be too worried.
David

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
A1Skinner offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 5218
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:38 am
Location: Eaglesham
FindMeSpot URL: [url:1vzmrq4a]http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0az97SSJm2Ky58iEMJLqgaAQvVxMnGp6G[/url:1vzmrq4a]
Aircraft: Cessna 210J, Citabria 7GCBC, AT402/502/602

DISPLAY OPTIONS

15 posts • Page 1 of 1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Latest Features

Latest Knowledge Base