a64pilot wrote:BM,
In asking why a pilot couldn't do the weight and balance after removing the seat in a Maule, the inspector I spoke to tried dodgeing the bullet by saying the pilot couldn't make the return to service entry in the book because he wasn't allowed to remove the seat. When I pointed out the removal proscess was two quick release pins, he still didn't want to admit a pilot would be allowed to pull those pins.
We had a saying in the ARMY. "Don't allow logic to interfere with the military decision making proscess".
You're right, you can't fix stupid. But when he's dodging your question it's because he really doesn't know. Have him explain to you why that would be considered a complex operation when it is specifically listed in part 43, in three places no less. Here they are:
(11) Repairing upholstery and decorative furnishings of the cabin, cockpit, or balloon basket interior when the repairing does not require disassembly of any primary structure or operating system or interfere with an operating system or affect the primary structure of the aircraft.
(14) Replacing safety belts.
(15) Replacing seats or seat parts with replacement parts approved for the aircraft, not involving disassembly of any primary structure or operating system.
A seat is not a primary structure and since there's no other disassembly involved I don't see the problem. I included the seat belt one because a lot of airplanes have the seat belts attached to the seats. No way you're replacing those without first taking the seat out.