Backcountry Pilot • Bush Repairs Vol 1

Bush Repairs Vol 1

Have you modified your aircraft? STC? STOL Kit? Major rebuild from just a data plate?
6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Bush Repairs Vol 1

Found this while surfing the web, pretty entertaining. Not really sure about the story behind this, but these guys managed to rig some landing gear on this thing and fly it home.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Zzz offline
Janitorial Staff
Posts: 2990
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Nowhere
Aircraft: None

Re: Bush Repairs Vol 1

This must have been one of the earliest posts on this forum...topic #234. Stumbled across it today and smiled.
Zzz offline
Janitorial Staff
Posts: 2990
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Nowhere
Aircraft: None

Re: Bush Repairs Vol 1

I have seen a whole lot worse that flew out but those are memories only with no pictorial evidence... So I was told, by a friend of a friend that has since passed at least twice and can't be questioned.. It is actually pretty amazing how much damage these planes can take and still fly (surprisingly well) and how much of the wing can be flat as a pancake yet still fly pretty damn close to normal as long as control surfaces are fully functional.
akavidflyer offline
User avatar
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:36 pm
Location: Soldotna AK

Re: Bush Repairs Vol 1

That is some craftsmanship with the fencing wire. Getterdone aero.
daedaluscan offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 1302
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:06 pm
Location: Texada BC

Re: Bush Repairs Vol 1

I may or may not have used that metal perforated plumbers tape to great effect on occasion, stove pipe material, and three thirty second aircraft cable more then a few times to get her home…

Once I pulled a bent up 20X wing down with a come a long off the bumper of my truck, some sheetmetal, angle, and Cherie rivets here and there, even got a ferry permit blessing for the 18 mile flight to the company hangar. Few days later I’m asking around, where’s that plane? Oh they just flew it to town… Some four hundred miles.

It doesn’t always go good though. Back when I imbibed was sitting at the bar with an old pilot, older drunk walks up and slurs, I’m sorry that wing folded up on you I thought that two by four would hold… I’m sure my eyes got big as I got the rest of the story, an old sixty horse T-crate, a bad beach landing and a worse takeoff, no one seriously hurt. I’m sure the story got better with each visit to the bar.

Rocket
rocket offline
User avatar
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 3:08 pm
Location: Talkeetna
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... 9GZmP4hOO2

Re: Bush Repairs Vol 1

Reminds me of one of the more colorful aviation titles:

-DP

ps: 22-plus years?? Thank you Zzz


Image
denalipilot offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 2793
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:53 pm
Location: Denali
Aircraft: C-170B+

DISPLAY OPTIONS

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Latest Features

Latest Knowledge Base