Circa 1994 the air force decided my family should move to Spokane for a stint at Fairchild AFB. Wasn't on the radar but Dad retired out of Fairchild and we've been here ever since so I guess plans and mice and men and all that.
The year after we moved here there's an event called the Bighorn Show put on by the wildlife commission. Dad was a fanatic so we went every year and every year he would talk to fishing outfitters in AK wanting to go. Years go by and life happens, we had yet to make it up. Three years ago we lost my mom to Leukemia at 64 - 7 weeks from she was fine to lights out. If you need a kick in the rear to not waste a day that'll do it.
So - Dad turns 70 this year and none of us are getting a single day younger, let's go fishing in Alaska. Got a 3 day trip booked for my Dad and I and 2 brothers in law. If we're going for adventure though, let's double down and fly there. Fishing was 7/5-7/7, perfect time of year.
So I did a ton of research(big debt of gratitude to Ted fly2AK.com) and got the requisite paperwork and supplies ready. First decision was logistics. Alaska pretty much screams 180 or super cub. Problem is, only had a 4 day time window to get there and plan to fly frozen fish back. So - our only instrument platform is the R182. It's also relatively fast so that helps. Don't worry, I'll be back in the 180 or cub.
Armed with as much information and planning as I could, we were set to fly up on 7/2. First leg is load my gear in the 180 to get to Dad's hangar at Ione(S23) and then fly to Porthill to clear into Canada.
Naturally, first leg means first problem encountered - beautiful day but there's a fog bank parked on the river right at Ione. I loitered for 30 minutes before deciding to kill some time by landing at Sullivan.

Chatted with some nice folks camped there at Sullivan then blasted over to Ione after half an hour. Got loaded up and made it just under 30 minutes late into Porthill. Customs agents were super nice, no problems.
Dad and I launched up Kootenay Lake on our way to first fuel stop in Valemount.



Dad Fueling up in Valemount
Headed west out of the mountains but weather started dropping around Prince George.

It was marginal and we were watching a big cell move slowly north through the valley. Had we been familiar with the area might have pressed on but we called it to sit out for a few hours and wait for storm to pass. Prince George tower was very nice for us out of towners, but I would not recommend it as a stop if avoidable. Would have loved to get into town for a burger but they didn't have anywhere to park us for an easy ride to town. Ended up parked at the base of the tower and ate some of our granola bars while we sat in the airplane in the rain. Two hours later it started improving so we launched to the west.
Landed at Burns lake and topped with fuel, payment system was out but luckily the attendant was there washing a car so was able to hop right over and get us topped off with 140.4 liters.
Weather stayed mostly reasonable from there


We were very glad to have synthetic viz and terrain on this bird, helped as we navigated the various valleys to ensure we weren't boxing ourselves in.
Based on weather and time, plan had shifted to let's make our way to Stewart BC, that puts us at the north end of the channel and we can make our way to Ketchikan then Sitka from there. But - timing looked like we could just make Ketchikan before they closed at 6 and coastal weather looked good. So, called Customs over Smithers BC and asked if they could make that work on short notice. As expected, cell was spotty but got enough words each way that if I could file Eapis and get a cleared to land email we'd be good. Circled north of Smithers enough for me to get Eapis filed then launched towards Ketchikan. Got a clearance email over Terrace, so let's boogie.
Naturally, we then got a 20 knot headwind all the way to PAKT. But - we landed right about 6 and the customs agent was super nice. Had read about 15 minute time windows, this particular agent said he only gets antsy if you're over an hour late, and then just starts making phone calls.
Cleared into US and it was a beautiful evening so we decided to press on to Sitka

Mean Queen for burgers and beers hit the spot, 9.1 hours on the tach.
Bummed around Sitka a couple days and caught the parade on the 4th. Coast guard has one helicopter that didn't crash into Harbor Mt

Got out to the Lodge and said hi to the local state pigeons

Three days fishing was great, limited out on Kings for the trip and halibut each day. Didn't get weather to make it offshore for black cod so we'll be back for that.


Time to pack up, Brothers and Dad were on the kerosene burner to SeaTac, dad launched the next day with his family for a cruise...to Alaska. It was on me to load the fish into the Cessna and get back to Spokane. Had been watching the weather and looking at options. Initially I filed down the coast on a route that I could do at 4-6k to hopefully stay out of ice then get to Bellingham. No Canadian customs. Put me over water and I had forgotten to bring one of the float plane vests so bought an orange floaty for $34(ouch). Luck was on my side, weather had cleared up a bit and we had a gorgeous morning on the 8th. Flipped the plan and filed direct at 17k. Not the sightseeing I'd want but it would get me and the fish home safe and quick. It worked perfectly


Our flight track
Don't try that in a cub.
-16C with a 40 knot quartering tailwind, the fish went from freezer to freezer in under 8 hours, can't beat that.
Great trip, glad to have done it finally and we'll do it again.
Whether your dream trip is Alaska or Topeka, I recommend you make it happen.




