Backcountry Pilot • WTB Straight Tail 182

WTB Straight Tail 182

Gear for sale, gear wanted, etc. Be sure to read the Required Reading sticky before posting.
12 posts • Page 1 of 1

WTB Straight Tail 182

I know how the market has been and that they have become much harder to find, but I'm in search of my dream airplane. A 1956-59 Cessna 182. My limit is about 80k and I'm finding it very difficult to find one! I'm located in Georgia and I'm willing to travel anywhere. :D

If anyone has any leads that would be fantastic.

Thanks so much,

Brendan
TheUnicorn offline
User avatar
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue May 18, 2021 4:43 pm
Location: Atlanta

Re: WTB Straight Tail 182

I just went through the same thing. I had barnstormer and constant reload for months but my best leads were actually from this forum. Someone who knew someone that might be selling, or a hangar neighbor was thinking of listing, etc. Really try to find one that hasn't hit the market yet, then be quick and courteous. There are some good planes out there and the sellers dont necessarily want to deal with the hassle of listing and fielding emails/calls. Good luck... and hopefully someone chimes in here with a lead.
ington6 offline
User avatar
Posts: 396
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Anywhere
Aircraft: C185
C90 Cub

Re: WTB Straight Tail 182

ington6 wrote:I just went through the same thing. I had barnstormer and constant reload for months but my best leads were actually from this forum. Someone who knew someone that might be selling, or a hangar neighbor was thinking of listing, etc. Really try to find one that hasn't hit the market yet, then be quick and courteous. There are some good planes out there and the sellers dont necessarily want to deal with the hassle of listing and fielding emails/calls. Good luck... and hopefully someone chimes in here with a lead.


I appreciate the response and I've been thinking exactly what you've just said. What would be the most efficient way to send a letter to every single 56-59 in the database? Someone else suggested to me that I do that.

Thanks!
TheUnicorn offline
User avatar
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue May 18, 2021 4:43 pm
Location: Atlanta

Re: WTB Straight Tail 182

Hangar to hangar with a suitcase full of cash?
ington6 offline
User avatar
Posts: 396
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Anywhere
Aircraft: C185
C90 Cub

Re: WTB Straight Tail 182

ington6 wrote:Hangar to hangar with a suitcase full of cash?


Not a bad idea
TheUnicorn offline
User avatar
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue May 18, 2021 4:43 pm
Location: Atlanta

Re: WTB Straight Tail 182

TheUnicorn wrote:
ington6 wrote:I just went through the same thing. I had barnstormer and constant reload for months but my best leads were actually from this forum. Someone who knew someone that might be selling, or a hangar neighbor was thinking of listing, etc. Really try to find one that hasn't hit the market yet, then be quick and courteous. There are some good planes out there and the sellers dont necessarily want to deal with the hassle of listing and fielding emails/calls. Good luck... and hopefully someone chimes in here with a lead.


I appreciate the response and I've been thinking exactly what you've just said. What would be the most efficient way to send a letter to every single 56-59 in the database? Someone else suggested to me that I do that.

Thanks!



I've gotten those 'letters' a few times over the years. Only advice I can mention is to be realistic as to value of the plane you are inquiring about. I responded to a couple of the mailers over the years. This was at a time when I was on the fence about listing my plane. Both these guys that had sent out these letter were what I would call tire kickers and lowballers. Neither one had any idea of airplane values and both were looking for the proverbial creampuff at a give away price. One was so bold as to expect full IFR with no less than a Garmin 430, low TT, and all for under $30K. Dreamers!! So all I am suggesting is to fair to the owner.
WWhunter offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 2062
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:54 pm
Location: Minnesota
Aircraft: RANS S-7
Murphy Rebel
VANS RV-8

Re: WTB Straight Tail 182

WWhunter wrote:
TheUnicorn wrote:
ington6 wrote:I just went through the same thing. I had barnstormer and constant reload for months but my best leads were actually from this forum. Someone who knew someone that might be selling, or a hangar neighbor was thinking of listing, etc. Really try to find one that hasn't hit the market yet, then be quick and courteous. There are some good planes out there and the sellers dont necessarily want to deal with the hassle of listing and fielding emails/calls. Good luck... and hopefully someone chimes in here with a lead.


I appreciate the response and I've been thinking exactly what you've just said. What would be the most efficient way to send a letter to every single 56-59 in the database? Someone else suggested to me that I do that.

Thanks!



I've gotten those 'letters' a few times over the years. Only advice I can mention is to be realistic as to value of the plane you are inquiring about. I responded to a couple of the mailers over the years. This was at a time when I was on the fence about listing my plane. Both these guys that had sent out these letter were what I would call tire kickers and lowballers. Neither one had any idea of airplane values and both were looking for the proverbial creampuff at a give away price. One was so bold as to expect full IFR with no less than a Garmin 430, low TT, and all for under $30K. Dreamers!! So all I am suggesting is to fair to the owner.


Absolutely agree. Only problem is I'm not sure what every airplanes value is because of unknown times, avionics, history, etc.
TheUnicorn offline
User avatar
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue May 18, 2021 4:43 pm
Location: Atlanta

Re: WTB Straight Tail 182

ington6 wrote:Hangar to hangar with a suitcase full of cash?


Thread drift, sorry. That reminded me of a guy that was interested a 150 I was selling. He flew up from downstate with his CFI to look at the plane. Turns out he has a satchel with $15,000 cash, holding it like a newborn. I fly a couple of patterns with the CFI, then I let her and the guy take the 150 up. I offer to hold the cash while they fly so they wouldn't have to lug it around joking that I would probably be there when they got back. He flatly refuses, gets serious and informs me that he is packing and trained in handgun use, I look at the CFI, she gives me a little eye roll, I laugh and let him know he probably won't have to shoot me and turn them loose for a bit. Turns out they didn't buy the plane.

Pete
pburns offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:05 pm
Location: Adirondack Mt's
Aircraft: Citabria 7ECA

Re: WTB Straight Tail 182

pburns wrote:
ington6 wrote:Hangar to hangar with a suitcase full of cash?


Thread drift, sorry. That reminded me of a guy that was interested a 150 I was selling. He flew up from downstate with his CFI to look at the plane. Turns out he has a satchel with $15,000 cash, holding it like a newborn. I fly a couple of patterns with the CFI, then I let her and the guy take the 150 up. I offer to hold the cash while they fly so they wouldn't have to lug it around joking that I would probably be there when they got back. He flatly refuses, gets serious and informs me that he is packing and trained in handgun use, I look at the CFI, she gives me a little eye roll, I laugh and let him know he probably won't have to shoot me and turn them loose for a bit. Turns out they didn't buy the plane.

Pete
Hilarious!
Aryana offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 936
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:06 am
Location: SoCal
Aircraft: 1955 Cessna 170

Re: WTB Straight Tail 182

Did he have the satchel handcuffed to his wrist like in the James Bond movies ?
Hman442 offline
User avatar
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:11 pm
Location: Redmond
Aircraft: Cessna 182H

Re: WTB Straight Tail 182

pburns wrote:
ington6 wrote:Hangar to hangar with a suitcase full of cash?


Thread drift, sorry. That reminded me of a guy that was interested a 150 I was selling. He flew up from downstate with his CFI to look at the plane. Turns out he has a satchel with $15,000 cash, holding it like a newborn. I fly a couple of patterns with the CFI, then I let her and the guy take the 150 up. I offer to hold the cash while they fly so they wouldn't have to lug it around joking that I would probably be there when they got back. He flatly refuses, gets serious and informs me that he is packing and trained in handgun use, I look at the CFI, she gives me a little eye roll, I laugh and let him know he probably won't have to shoot me and turn them loose for a bit. Turns out they didn't buy the plane.

Pete


Now that is a hoot.
qmdv offline
User avatar
Posts: 3635
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:22 pm
Location: Payette
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... I5tqEOk0rc
Aircraft: Cessna 182

Re: WTB Straight Tail 182

Hman442 wrote:Did he have the satchel handcuffed to his wrist like in the James Bond movies ?


Ha! No, that would have been perfect.

Pete
pburns offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:05 pm
Location: Adirondack Mt's
Aircraft: Citabria 7ECA

DISPLAY OPTIONS

12 posts • Page 1 of 1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Latest Features

Latest Knowledge Base