Backcountry Pilot • Cessna 205 or 206 for a mission to 1E8?

Cessna 205 or 206 for a mission to 1E8?

This subforum is meant to organize topics for tricycle utility aircraft 205, 206, 207, maybe 208 if you're really cool.
25 posts • Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2

Cessna 205 or 206 for a mission to 1E8?

Hey guys,

My wife's family has a cabin in the Adirondacks, and it takes us about 6.5 hours each way to get there from Boston by car. We're both busy working professionals, so we rarely get up there more than twice per summer. We'd like to go more often, and I think the mission could genuinely justify buying my first plane.

I found a field FAA LID: 1E8 with a 2200ft grass strip at 815ft MSL that's about a 35 minute drive to the camp, and would probably make it feasible to fly in for regular 2-day weekends. The airport manager said I can store a car there for a very reasonable rate, and we already keep one at the camp. There are 58 foot trees about 250ft from the end of the runway.

https://www.airnav.com/airport/1e8
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moores_Airport

I want the capability to fly 4 adults, 2 large dogs, about 70lbs of luggage/food, and fuel to get back to BVY (210NM). We're all pretty skinny, so pax + dogs and the 70lbs of luggage add up to 850lbs. I expect 46 gals (275 lbs) of fuel would get me back with plenty of margin, and that a full tank at 80 gal usable should cover the round trip.

There are several well-instrumented airports in the area that I could divert to- PTD, MSS, and SLK. I could fuel up at one of those on the way back if my fuel burn into 1E8 were higher than planned, or if had a couple of go-arounds. They're all about an hour drive from the cabin, and I might consider basing the car at one of those if y'all think flying the mission into 1E8 isn't worth the extra friction of backcountry ops to save 25 mins of driving.

I'm a low-time pilot with about 150 hours in C172s and PA28s. While not directly relevant, I also have some mechanic experience as a UH60 crew chief. I currently don't have any experience flying backcountry ops, but I'm committed to get whatever training I need to fly the mission safely.

Should an early C206 be capable of getting in and out of 1E8 safely under the conditions I listed, or would I have to step up to a C185? I don't have any tailwheel time, so having to move up to a C185 would weigh into my decision on whether to just store the car at a paved airport like SKL instead.

As a side note, I'm trying to get in contact with the owner of another private field that's got a 2700 ft runway, and that I think I'd feel more confident flying out of, but I haven't had any luck yet. It used to be called Oval Wood Dish Company Airfield in Tupper Lake, and appears to be well maintained from Google Earth and Street View.

Thanks in advance!

Lawndart
lawndart offline
User avatar
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:26 am
Location: Boston

Re: Cessna 205 or 206 for a mission to 1E8?

C206 should work well but get a good checkout. Start small on payload and work your way up in gross weight over trips. You'll never regret the decision to cancel.

C185 insurance will be so high, avoid w your lack of heavy TW experience. Don't be a John John.
48Stinson1083 offline
User avatar
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:19 pm
Location: Maple Valley
Aircraft: Stinson 108-3

Re: Cessna 205 or 206 for a mission to 1E8?

I own both. The 206 would be great for what you described. You don’t need to fly them as often as the 185 to keep current. It’s just easier to fly being a nose dragger. Those big doors on the 206 are magic for loading shit. The cabin is wider and more comfortable. Full 6 seater. Cheaper insurance The things the 206 is not as good at. It’s not as nice to fly, Its heavier in the controls than the 185. It doesn’t look as cool. It isn’t as good at extreme off airport backcountry, note “extreme”. Not as good on Skis. If you want something just for your mission described, then the 206 all day long. They are an incredibly capable aircraft. The difference in performance between the two is marginal. A tricked out STOL 206 will be just as good if not better than a standard 185. If you are passionate about owning and flying a 185 because they are amazing machines and you’ve always wanted one, then get the 185, but make sure you fly it lots.
Last edited by JamieG on Sat Sep 26, 2026 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
JamieG offline
User avatar
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:06 am
Location: OngaOnga
Aircraft: C180J, O520

Re: Cessna 205 or 206 for a mission to 1E8?

Hey Lawndart,

I don't know who owns the strip in Tupper, but I will ask around. I have a friend that flew out of Saranac for years and had a dental practice in Tupper. he may know. We are in North Creek.

Pete
pburns offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:05 pm
Location: Adirondack Mt's
Aircraft: Citabria 7ECA

Re: Cessna 205 or 206 for a mission to 1E8?

48Stinson1083 wrote:C206 should work well but get a good checkout. Start small on payload and work your way up in gross weight over trips. You'll never regret the decision to cancel.

C185 insurance will be so high, avoid w your lack of heavy TW experience. Don't be a John John.


Awesome, good to hear! And yes, my thinking was to do the trip a few times with an instructor, a few times with a buddy and maybe some weight, and eventually go up from there. Thanks :)
lawndart offline
User avatar
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:26 am
Location: Boston

Re: Cessna 205 or 206 for a mission to 1E8?

JamieG wrote:I own both. The 206 would be great for what you described. You don’t need to fly them as often as the 185 to keep current. It’s just easier to fly being a nose dragger. Those big doors on the 206 are magic for loading shit. The cabin is wider and more comfortable. Full 6 seater. Cheaper insurance The things the 206 is not as good at. It’s not as nice to fly, Its heavier in the controls than the 185. It doesn’t look as cool. It isn’t as good at extreme off airport backcountry, note “extreme”. Not as good on Skis. If you want something just for your mission described, then the 206 all day long. They are an incredibly capable aircraft. The difference in performance between the two is marginal. A tricked out STOL 206 will be just as good if not better than a standard 185. If you are passionate about owning and flying a 185 because they are amazing machines and you’ve always wanted one, then get the 185, but make sure you fly it lots.


Absolutely, I'm very realistic about how much more training it would take to get me comfortable in a C185 and to stay current. I'm really glad to hear I can get away with a C206, because it just sounds so much more realistic given my lack of experience and expectations on annual currency hours. The C185 is now off my list, because I'm not cool enough.

Let me throw you guys a curveball. Given that the C206 works, would a Piper Cherokee Six / PA32 / 6X be a good fit too? I think the cabin layout would be even better for managing dogs and bags. I know low wing is a bad idea for gravel, but I don't expect much at all of that here in New England. I also have a decent number of my more recent hours in a PA28, and personally preferred it to the C172s I got my basic training in.

Thanks!
lawndart offline
User avatar
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:26 am
Location: Boston

Re: Cessna 205 or 206 for a mission to 1E8?

pburns wrote:Hey Lawndart,

I don't know who owns the strip in Tupper, but I will ask around. I have a friend that flew out of Saranac for years and had a dental practice in Tupper. he may know. We are in North Creek.

Pete


Wow, thanks a lot! I found out that the property was sold back in 2025, and I just managed to get in contact with the realtor that sold it. Hopefully I can get in touch with the owner through him. I'd love a second approach to contact though if you hear anything from your buddy.

Cheers!
lawndart offline
User avatar
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:26 am
Location: Boston

Re: Cessna 205 or 206 for a mission to 1E8?

So,

My friend doesn't know who bought it. I looked it up on the tax map. Owner is listed as Mountain Calling LLC, which screams vacation home to me. Mailing address is: 78 Demars Blvd. Tupper Lake, NY 12986 if that helps. On a side note, of probably no use, one of the guys I own our hanger with used to fly in there regularly 10 years ago or so, when it was owned by a logging Co. He would service their trucks. That's all I got right now. If I hear anything else, I'll pass it along.

Pete
pburns offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:05 pm
Location: Adirondack Mt's
Aircraft: Citabria 7ECA

Re: Cessna 205 or 206 for a mission to 1E8?

What do your potential passengers think about this plan? Do they have experience in small planes? I'd hate for you to go to the trouble and expense of getting an airplane for this specific mission only to find out that your family members realized (after a bump or two) that they'd prefer to drive.
slowmover offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:03 pm
Location: Little Rock
Aircraft: Cessna 180 Skywagon

Re: Cessna 205 or 206 for a mission to 1E8?

I think you will find you will scrub or drive many of your weekends due to wx if you’re going to a VFR airstrip unless you intend to go IFR when necessary and let down somewhere west of the mountains. Flying marginal VFR or scud running up north is quite a bit riskier than southern New England, and probably not something you want to subject family and friends to.
Maybe consider flying to Saranac or Potsdam for a while where you can go IFR and establish your capabilities. Then you can enjoy crappy wx at camp like the rest of us.
If you’re not IFR rated, here’s your motivation.
Mudwagon offline
User avatar
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 4:37 am
Location: Vermont

Re: Cessna 205 or 206 for a mission to 1E8?

206 forsure,

they have better autopilots than the 185, the back seat is more comfy then the fronts in a 185. Tri Gear is easy to fly. and once you learn your aircraft: IF IT FITS IT SHIPS
Cameron96 offline
User avatar
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:59 am
Location: sudbury
Aircraft: C206 Turbine

Re: Cessna 205 or 206 for a mission to 1E8?

pburns wrote:So,

My friend doesn't know who bought it. I looked it up on the tax map. Owner is listed as Mountain Calling LLC, which screams vacation home to me. Mailing address is: 78 Demars Blvd. Tupper Lake, NY 12986 if that helps. On a side note, of probably no use, one of the guys I own our hanger with used to fly in there regularly 10 years ago or so, when it was owned by a logging Co. He would service their trucks. That's all I got right now. If I hear anything else, I'll pass it along.

Pete


Hey, thanks again for checking. I heard back from the realtor, and he’s going to reach out to the new owner. Fingers crossed!
lawndart offline
User avatar
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:26 am
Location: Boston

Re: Cessna 205 or 206 for a mission to 1E8?

slowmover wrote:What do your potential passengers think about this plan? Do they have experience in small planes? I'd hate for you to go to the trouble and expense of getting an airplane for this specific mission only to find out that your family members realized (after a bump or two) that they'd prefer to drive.


Good question. My wife is all for it, and we do plan to have kids within the next few years, so I think we’re probably better off in a 6 seater than a 4, given that we plan to keep having big dogs.

I’ll run a poll on friends to confirm. I’m not sure whether the grass strip is a slam dunk for everyone, but we definitely have friends who would fly to Saranac, the Hamptons, Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard, etc.
lawndart offline
User avatar
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:26 am
Location: Boston

Re: Cessna 205 or 206 for a mission to 1E8?

Mudwagon wrote:I think you will find you will scrub or drive many of your weekends due to wx if you’re going to a VFR airstrip unless you intend to go IFR when necessary and let down somewhere west of the mountains. Flying marginal VFR or scud running up north is quite a bit riskier than southern New England, and probably not something you want to subject family and friends to.
Maybe consider flying to Saranac or Potsdam for a while where you can go IFR and establish your capabilities. Then you can enjoy crappy wx at camp like the rest of us.
If you’re not IFR rated, here’s your motivation.


Definitely. My planning on the mission has evolved quite a bit since my initial post. I came to the exact conclusion that you recommended. I’m thinking that the car should be staged at Saranac (SLK), so we have a decent likelihood of getting in, even if it’s an extra 30 min drive.

We can fly to one of the VFR strips when conditions are just right, and we’re loaded light. They’re close enough to the camp that we can get picked up by her family when we do land there.

If I end up finding that I can get into the VFR strips reliably after a couple of seasons, then I’ll consider repositioning the car to the closer strips.

I don’t have my IR yet, but I will be getting it in whatever plane I end up buying.

Thanks for the advice.
lawndart offline
User avatar
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:26 am
Location: Boston

Re: Cessna 205 or 206 for a mission to 1E8?

slowmover wrote:What do your potential passengers think about this plan? Do they have experience in small planes? I'd hate for you to go to the trouble and expense of getting an airplane for this specific mission only to find out that your family members realized (after a bump or two) that they'd prefer to drive.


I ran a poll across all our friends who have ever been to the camp. I was very surprised to learn that there wasn’t a single couple where both would fly in a small plane instead of driving, and several couples where neither would fly.

This question probably saved me a whole lot of money, so I’m very thankful that you asked.

A more realistic mission to the camp is starting to look like 2 adults + 2 dogs, or 3 adults + 1 dog (I can send the other with our friends that would drive). I think 2-4 adults and no dogs is still a realistic mission for other destinations, but the conclusion is that the C206 and PA32 are bigger than what I’d realistically need now.

I’m starting to think a C182 or PA28-235 would be a better fit now. I can always upgrade to something bigger someday when we have kids.

Thanks again for helping me reframe this!
lawndart offline
User avatar
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:26 am
Location: Boston

Re: Cessna 205 or 206 for a mission to 1E8?

I was looking for a 182 for my family of four when I bought our 205. It isn't quite as capable as a 206, but was near the same price as a 182 when we bought. It's basically the same price as a 182 to annual, insure, and operate, and has more baggage volume than my wife's pickup bed with the back seats out. It means my wife and daughters can pack literally whatever whatever they can fit in the truck and bring it, and there is no argument. It's also very comfortable for passengers with the middle row of seats slid all the way back. With all but the front seats out, you can sleep in it.
jcadwell offline
Supporter
Posts: 308
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:21 pm
Location: Richland, WA

Re: Cessna 205 or 206 for a mission to 1E8?

jcadwell wrote:I was looking for a 182 for my family of four when I bought our 205. It isn't quite as capable as a 206, but was near the same price as a 182 when we bought. It's basically the same price as a 182 to annual, insure, and operate, and has more baggage volume than my wife's pickup bed with the back seats out. It means my wife and daughters can pack literally whatever whatever they can fit in the truck and bring it, and there is no argument. It's also very comfortable for passengers with the middle row of seats slid all the way back. With all but the front seats out, you can sleep in it.


Heck yeah! I think I could be really happy with a C205 or PA32-260 if I found a good deal. I think that could be my forever plane.

Part of me wants to design my own IFR panel, but I know I won’t keep all of the value. I guess that matters a lot less if I keep the plane for a long time.

I think my ideal setup would be a G3X, GNX 375, GEA 24, GFC 500, and backup GI 275.

In reality I could live with any good PFD, ideally with terrain capabilities, a decent GPS (430W or better), GTX 345 for ADSB and WX, a decent EIS, and a decently capable autopilot.

If I get one of the 235hp aircraft, I’d probably shop for a panel I can live with. If I find a 260hp one with good bones to be my forever plane, I’d probably fly it for about a year and then invest in a nice clean IFR panel once I’m confident in it, and ready to work toward my IR.

I’m definitely open to advice on any of that.
lawndart offline
User avatar
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:26 am
Location: Boston

Re: Cessna 205 or 206 for a mission to 1E8?

Look into the GH 15 height advisor, I got for my 206 amphib. handy in all conditions, IFR. night, and low approaches to grass runways.
Cameron96 offline
User avatar
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:59 am
Location: sudbury
Aircraft: C206 Turbine

Re: Cessna 205 or 206 for a mission to 1E8?

While all that avionics is great if you are going to run with heavy loads on short strips your best money would be spent finding a 206 with a 550 or converting one. The standard 206 at max gross will get off in ground effect but climb is very limited. Not much sense having Garmin squawking pull up if you dont have the power to do so.
peterdillon offline
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:18 pm
Location: Selkirk
Aircraft: Floats

Re: Cessna 205 or 206 for a mission to 1E8?

peterdillon wrote:While all that avionics is great if you are going to run with heavy loads on short strips your best money would be spent finding a 206 with a 550 or converting one. The standard 206 at max gross will get off in ground effect but climb is very limited. Not much sense having Garmin squawking pull up if you dont have the power to do so.


I don’t think I’ll need that power. I’ve found out my mission will be well under max gross, like 700 lbs payload plus fuel. That’s why either the 235hp or 260hp options will work. I definitely don’t need 300+hp
lawndart offline
User avatar
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:26 am
Location: Boston

DISPLAY OPTIONS

Next
25 posts • Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Latest Features

Latest Knowledge Base