Backcountry Pilot • In Need of Advice

In Need of Advice

A general forum for anything related to flying the backcountry. Please check first if your new topic fits better into a more specific forum before posting.
6 posts • Page 1 of 1

In Need of Advice

Hey all,

I am a new member here and looking to start dipping my wings into the world of backcountry flying. I am in search of a little advice. I currently own a very nice 1948 Cessna 140. Nothing crazy- C85, ragwing, but it's got a nice tailwheel setup, VGs, climb prop, etc. I love it to death, but I'm not sure if it's the best fit for getting into this kind of flying. It lacks the power other planes can provide, but it's got great feel and is super lightweight for what it is. For a little context, I bought this plane after getting my tailwheel in it in Colorado, and I am now located in North Dakota. It does fantastic out here, but it definitely was a done-by-noon kind of plane back at altitude. I plan to return to Colorado within the next year or so, and my current predicament is as follows:

Do I hold onto the 140 for the sake of learning what I am doing and getting into backcountry flying at an entry level, potentially upgrading to something more capable in the future?

Or do I upgrade to something more capable, a 170B, 180, Super Cub, etc. Prior to getting into any real backcountry flying?

I am definitely open to any suggestions one may have, and am all ears to any advice for getting into this type of flying. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who want to throw in their two cents.

(If this post is a better fit for a separate channel, let me know, and I will get it moved. This was the best I could come up with for now.)
Nodak_140 offline
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2026 11:30 am
Location: Grand Forks
Aircraft: C-140
AA-5A

Re: In Need of Advice

Nodak_140 wrote:Hey all,


Do I hold onto the 140 for the sake of learning what I am doing and getting into backcountry flying at an entry level, potentially upgrading to something more capable in the future?



Yes,
That thing will teach you stuff the others will mask with power, and foster habits the others will never truly devlop.

Take care,
Rob
Rob offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 1591
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:34 am

Re: In Need of Advice

As Rob stated, you will learn alot from the low powered 140. After a few hundred hours it'll be an extension of you and you'll be amazed at what you can do with it. I owned an underpowered 172 for nearly 40 years and I knew that plane extremely well.

I'm definitely not alluding to the fact that MN has a lot of 'backcountry flying, but there are lots of grass strips in the northwoods of MN that can 'wet you appitite' for what you are eventually wanting to do. Of the several planes that I have owned/flown, the Cessna wing is very forgiving. Not sure on the 140 though. I have had several guys fly into my strip that think it's 'fun' since you're coming over a small hill and trees. Besides, I am in the state forest so it appears challenging. I previously flew my O-300 powered 172 in and out of it. Currently fly the RANS (fpr sale) and a Murphy Rebel in and out. 1600' grass with about a 200' grassy lowland overrun.

I recently had a guy from the Grand Forks area ask about the RANS S7 I have listed for sale. He has the same plane as you and is wanting better performance. Fairly open farm country so I was surprised that he wanted something to T/O land quicker.

I'm right next to Itasca State Park if you get over this way.
WWhunter offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 2061
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:54 pm
Location: Minnesota
Aircraft: RANS S-7
Murphy Rebel
VANS RV-8

Re: In Need of Advice

Other than lacking a bit of cargo space you have a great "starter" platform. By now you are should be very familiar with it's basic handle characteristics, time to take it to the next level.
Mapleflt offline
Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 2385
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:35 pm
Location: Bradford
Aircraft: Cessna S170B NexGen (NM) Variant

Re: In Need of Advice

guessing it would take 500 hours or more depending on what kind of flying your doung to extract all that your140 can teach you. You didnt say how many you have in her. And not much else is gonna teach you so much for so little $$$

Keep in mind most planes are over at noon when the DA starts moving north, at least for the old not bold pilots ;)

I recently started flying a C-120 with the old O235 STC nomanally making 100/115 hp. Read at the 120/40 forum guy says 30 seconds to get off the water with a c85 on the 1400’s. I’m off in 6 with the 235/1650/spinning a 76-39 Somthing to think about.

Rocket
rocket online
User avatar
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 3:08 pm
Location: Talkeetna
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... 9GZmP4hOO2

Re: In Need of Advice

If you are not trying to carry a bunch of gear and another person, I think the 140 will be just fine. Everything has its limitations, work within them and learn to get the best out of it. There isn't much true backcountry flying in Colorado. Way out by the Utah border north of Westwater there are a few that are pretty high, like 8000' IIRC. But, eastern Utah has a wealth of great flying and most of that is at relatively low elevation. It gets hot out out there, I don't like flying when its hot just because I don't like to sweat my balls off in a tin can in the sun. I loved flying Utah about this time of year and spring prior to June. You can fly much of it year round, but the camping sucks in the winter.
I watched a group of 9 airplanes leave Thomas Creek in Idaho a few years ago. Mid morning, so not too warm, there were 180's, 182's, 206, and a stock square tail 172 with an 0-300. The 172 had a guy and his dog not much else, but his takeoff roll was not appreciably longer than the other planes in the group. I am sure they waited for him at each stop, but he probably had just as much fun if not more.
StillLearning offline
Supporter
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:22 pm
Location: Salmon
Aircraft: Cessna 180 Skywagon 1953

DISPLAY OPTIONS

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests

Latest Features

Latest Knowledge Base