Backcountry Pilot • ADSB thingy

ADSB thingy

Discuss the legality of flying the backcountry, FARs, advocacy, and aviation relevant legislation. Registered users only.
184 posts • Page 10 of 10 • 1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Re: ADSB thingy

Bonanza Man wrote:
rw2 wrote:
FWIW, https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/ is at least as large.


POA has less than half the members, not that that is a bad thing.


And more posts. So, depends which metric you look at. Interesting...
rw2 offline
User avatar
Posts: 1799
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: San Miguel de Allende
FindMeSpot URL: https://share.delorme.com/LaNaranjaDanzante
Aircraft: Experimental Maule
Follow my Flying, Cooking and Camping adventures at RichWellner.com

Re: ADSB thingy

Yesterday I was happily motoring east at 5600' well outside of B, C, or D. The only SUA was a pair of large MOAs 10 nm north. My ADSB IN from Foreflight & Stratus picked up another aircraft at 12:00 with "0" altitude difference at 8 nm on the recipral of my course. Center (did I mention I had VFR FF?) didn't say a word. I waited to see where the lane would go in this game of chicken until we closed to 4 nm, then altered course 45 degrees to the right. I never did see the other aircraft, though it passed only a mile+ a bit behind me.

As far as the security debate goes, IMHO money spent on a monitored security system is a VERY good investment. I know more than one person who depended on the law abiding nature of a certain social strata who was cleaned out (literally). And asking neighbors to 'keep an eye out' only goes so far.
PapernScissors offline
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:49 pm
Location: Spokane
Aircraft: Cessna 172

Re: ADSB thingy

PapernScissors wrote:...Center (did I mention I had VFR FF?) didn't say a word....


I had a airplane fly UNDER MY WING, on a head-on course, while on VFR FF. It was so shocking that I had to fight not to hyperventilate. And that was a commercial flight...King Air full of skydivers.

When I composed myself I called Center and mentioned that the aircraft descending to the east had missed us by about 20 feet. "Roger" was all I got in return.

I guess we fell through the "workload permitting" crack that day.
Hammer offline
KB and Supporter
User avatar
Posts: 2094
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:15 am
Location: 742 Evergreen Terrace

Re: ADSB thingy

Hammer wrote:
PapernScissors wrote:...Center (did I mention I had VFR FF?) didn't say a word....


I had a airplane fly UNDER MY WING, on a head-on course, while on VFR FF. It was so shocking that I had to fight not to hyperventilate. And that was a commercial flight...King Air full of skydivers.

...


Funny thing. Right after I read your post I found ASRS Callback 478 in my email inbox. https://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/publications/callback/cb_478.html

I guess ADSB IN reveals that ATC controllers really are not Perfect... like us all, there be 'good days' an 'not so good' days... :o
PapernScissors offline
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:49 pm
Location: Spokane
Aircraft: Cessna 172

DISPLAY OPTIONS

Previous
184 posts • Page 10 of 10 • 1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Latest Features

Latest Knowledge Base